French Angora + New Zealand buck = ???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So we picked up a French Angora (We were supposed to SELL HER for our 4H group :roll: )and now that my daughter has fallen in lover with her to the point she is a keeper she, and I, was wondering what we would get if we crossed her with a New Zealand buck.

I punched "is angora coat recessive" into Google and the very first page was a thread here on RT! :)

angora-coat-gene-t2181.html

It basically says what I suspected...wool is recessive so you are likely to get all short-coated buns. :) BUT, I don't know that for certain, so if you try it do let us know! :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2kvh4yhk said:
I punched "is angora coat recessive" into Google and the very first page was a thread here on RT! :)

angora-coat-gene-t2181.html

It basically says what I suspected...wool is recessive so you are likely to get all short-coated buns. :) BUT, I don't know that for certain, so if you try it do let us know! :)

So if she had kits I could breed them together to get more wool?

Well, that would be cheaper than buying them, they are QUITE expensive round here!

I traded the 4H group two silkie hens and a silkie rooster for her. Win win :cool:

Wool is recessive but getting a good yarn quality wool can be trickier.

You can cross the doe with a son to get about 50% of the litter angora and 50% carriers, and to his sisters to get 25% angoras, 50% carriers and 25% without the gene.

Now you just need to decide what colour is popular in your area.

Dood":unmjlgqh said:
Wool is recessive but getting a good yarn quality wool can be trickier.

And that is the problem, which is why I don't recommend crossing fur/wool breeds like Rex and Angora. The modifiers for the right kind of fur can be lost even when breeding in the same breed, much less to non fur/wool breeds. A lot of inbreeding will get you back on the right track, however.

I dont even know if we are going to breed her but as I was grooming her today she lifted for me :shock: Must have hit the wrong spot when trying to get the tail mat off :lol:

Its almost off, have been nibbling away at it each time I groom her.

I guess we could just breed her for meat mutts, she is a chunky thing.

Breed for meat mutts until you can find a nice Frenchie to breed her to.

MamaSheepdog":134w75eh said:
Breed for meat mutts until you can find a nice Frenchie to breed her to.

Yeh, that sounds like a plan. Goody, a reason to breed more rabbits :lol:

Do people in your area want Angoras as pets, for the novelty of a large furry bunny, or are they dedicated yarn makers?

If people just want a pet, the fur quality doesn't really matter, and they were meant to be a dual purpose breed so any that don't sell can go to freezer camp.

Dood":129tyhm3 said:
Do people in your area want Angoras as pets, for the novelty of a large furry bunny, or are they dedicated yarn makers?

If people just want a pet, the fur quality doesn't really matter, and they were meant to be a dual purpose breed so any that don't sell can go to freezer camp.

I havnt found ANYONE selling them in my area at all, the closest I have found are hours away and pricy.

Shall finish getting that blasted manure cake off the bottom of her tail and see if she "likes" one of our NZ bucks.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 pm __________<br /><br />Having never had or felt angora wool I dont know if its good or not but it is long and very very soft. And so much of it :shock:

You can google picks of the different wool breeds to be sure she is French and traits in their coats.

A local art or historical association may know of wool spinners in your area who can judge the hairs quality.

If Angoras a rare in your area, the local rabbit judges may not have alot of experience in determining coat quality but you could try there as well, and remember that since the kits will be cross breds, it's unlikely they will be show quality anyway.

I would be honest and advertise them as pet quality cross-breds but I suspect you'll be sold out regardless.

And the motion has passed! :p Thank you, board member OGG.

Is her hiney presentable yet? I think she has a hot date in her future! :mrgreen:

MamaSheepdog":x38sj3qw said:

Is her hiney presentable yet? I think she has a hot date in her future! :mrgreen:

:lol: :popcorn: already awaiting how the kits turn out. fur wise and growth wise.

MamaSheepdog":1ztf7zbk said:

Aaaaaaalmost! I have gotting hte mat loose all the way but it is still attached right above the base of her tail and I am morbidly afraid of snipping her with the sisors so am going r e a l s l o w.

She isnt too sure of me at the moment but her mind might get made up for life if I snip her "there" :shock:

As soon as that is off we shall see how it goes with a buck. :twisted:

GBov, I started out with an EA buck and a Satin doe. The F1 crosses have a bit longer, much silkier fur than their mother. The F2 bred from an F1 doe x EA buck are much longer fibered and some have the smooth face like a french, others look like an EA, so we shall see ... they are shedding their baby coat for their junior coat and are in the fuglie stage right now. As soon as I get all their coats back into shape I will take more photos. I am also keeping several until they have their adult coats to see what quality of fiber they end up with. I will breed a couple of them back to either the EA buck or an EA doe to see how they look in the F3 gen.

AnnClaire":2f4km207 said:
GBov, I started out with an EA buck and a Satin doe. The F1 crosses have a bit longer, much silkier fur than their mother. The F2 bred from an F1 doe x EA buck are much longer fibered and some have the smooth face like a french, others look like an EA, so we shall see ... they are shedding their baby coat for their junior coat and are in the fuglie stage right now. As soon as I get all their coats back into shape I will take more photos. I am also keeping several until they have their adult coats to see what quality of fiber they end up with. I will breed a couple of them back to either the EA buck or an EA doe to see how they look in the F3 gen.

I never realized the depth of pleasure a breeding goal would give until I had one. Its fab to see what each generation brings :cool:

Treated Matilda for fur and ear mites yesterday. Her bald patch is large and scabby and her poor ears are a mess but both should clear up now and give her some relief.

As we are moving in two to eight weeks I dont know whether to breed her or not but she sure is ready. Might take the risk and go ahead.

Will lifting her in and out of her cage for grooming - she leaps and bucks until I have a REALLY GOOD grip - do any harm to the unborn?

Not that I have noticed, but you might want to try a different position when you lift her ... are you picking her up as she is facing you, then try turning her away and sort of rolling her up with one hand under her front and one scooping her butt. If you get it right, it keeps them from struggling and I have found that it is relatively easy to sort of turn them into my chest for carrying.

Latest posts

Back