free rabbit. what breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
i'm going to be gettin a free rabbit tomorrow. it is close and it was a pet. its a buck. my dad saw it and just said it was a brown male rabbit. he doesnt know alot about rabbits but he is usually good at telling if any animal is unhealthy. the lady said she didnt know the breed but that she explained it as a rabbit that looked like a siamese cat. and that its probably between 3 and 5 months old.
so i'm thinking it is a californian or cross of a cali. any thoughts on what else it might be from that description?

A californian is not brown. It is white with tiny bits of color. It's probably a sable and color does not tell us breed. Netherlands are sable, mini rex are sable, several of the lop breeds probably have sable.... Most pets are mutts anyway.

really? hm... well i guess i'm just gonna have to see when i get him :)
i didnt realize all the breeds had the same colorings. i thought they had similar ones, but didnt know they were that much the same.
well free is free. i'll know soon enough.

Sometimes a color looks a little different due to length of hair or a specific modifier like castor in rex is chestnut in everything else but they look nothing a like. Rex have a shorter coat and rufus modifiers that make the chestnut mahogany red instead of wild rabbit type color. 99% of the time though the genetics are the same so the color is the same across all breeds and some breeds accept dozens of colors while others have the colors in them even if they aren't accepted for show.

Does he look like thissen

mb.jpg

Bah Bah BAAHHH, MOCHA BEAR!

Pssst... Mocha Bear... google my address... the weather is really nice here in CA, and the food is pretty darn good too, if I do say so myself. :mrgreen:

hahaha, Mocha Bear's gonna be a little huffy when I slap a padlock on his cage door :lol: :lol:

I've got 3 does bred to him that are due to kindle in early May, I'm pretty jazzed for what they might look like

Looks part Dutch

__________ Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:33 pm __________

Mocha Bear <3

I just had 4 Mini Lops what look like the color sable in a liter born last week. Crossed fingers for does :D I love to have a good looking sable doe:D To bad I didn't get any smoke pearls!<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:34 pm __________<br /><br />Mocha Bear <3

I just had 4 Mini Lops what look like the color sable in a liter born last week. Crossed fingers for does :D I love to have a good looking sable doe:D To bad I didn't get any smoke pearls!

hm... i'm not sure why you wouldnt be able to see the pic. if the link wont work then go to my gallery. there are several pics there

That looks grey not brown or anything close to siamese so either someone is colorblind or that lighting is really bad. It might actually be good to get one with flash because sunlight can do some weird things like my silvered tort that turns blue which was perplexing.

Same rabbit:
sunlight
DSCN1132.jpg

flash
DSCN1135.jpg

Then there was the whole Shimo situation and trying to capture her range of colors and noncolor. Always get pics under lots of different lighting now when IDing colors.

It looks Dutch and not like a Siamese cat at all. I was hoping it was an American Sable like my Sasha. Now she has the coloring of a Siamese cat

Attachments

• sasha bella.jpg
    sasha bella.jpg
    22.6 KB
Back