Free meat!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
On New Year's day, we picked up three young roosters from a neighbor that they didn't want or need, but did not have the heart to butcher themselves.

After a day of fasting (for the roos, not us), they went to meet their maker.

Looking at these beautiful birds in full plumage, you would think that you would have a mini-turkey carcass after the deed is done, but no... they look pretty much like a store bought bird.

Before:

IMG_8997.JPG

T-shirt as homemade "killing cone":

IMG_9009.JPG

After:

IMG_9001 - Copy.JPG

I, of course, was the one to kill and gut them, but the boys- including Hubs!- helped pluck them and also rinsed and bagged them afterwards.

Nothing went to waste... the piggies got the heads, guts, and feet, and the feathers will be composted.

IMG_9008.JPG

Can't wait to put one of these guys on the barbecue!

MamaSheepdog":1v23g6u8 said:
I, of course, was the one to kill and gut them, but the boys- including Hubs!- helped pluck them and also rinsed and bagged them afterwards.

Me thinks you got the easy job on that one. :yes:

Friend of mine called yesterday afternoon and gave me 3 Canadian geese! Yum! :mrgreen:

Homer":1e5lzv1o said:
Me thinks you got the easy job on that one. :yes:

Hey!!! I helped pluck too! Actually, if your water is at about 150F, plucking is a piece of cake. It's actually fun, believe it or not!

MamaSheepdog":1voj0hoo said:
... It's actually fun, believe it or not!
Yeah OK. I use to process them. Mom use to buy them for $2.00 a case live. (6 of them) As this is a family forum I won't go into what I think of the stinking little, oops... there I go.

Glad you had fun. :x

They look sort of like Cochin roosters and in my experience, not very meaty. But hey, it was free meat so that is great! I can't stand plucking either. I have always skinned my birds.

AprilW":2i65d47i said:
They look sort of like Cochin roosters

That's what they are. :)

AprilW":2i65d47i said:
I can't stand plucking either. I have always skinned my birds.

Plucking took all of three minutes, if that! The skin is my favorite part, so it was worth it. :)

The key is to scald them in 145-150F water, agitating the bird up and down so the skin gets wet. You pull them out every few seconds, and as soon as a primary wing feather can be easily plucked they are ready. I also ;luck a tail feather to insure the entire bird is ready for plucking. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:38 am __________ <br /><br /> I posted on FaceBook about the roos, and another neighbor has just offered me three more to butcher! SCORE!!!

Congratulations on the free meat! :D
I'm one of the local "unwanted rooster disposal persons" around here.
Those have some meat on em. I've gotten some pretty lean ones in the past.
Even little bony birds are great for making soup and stock.

I just butchered 4 roos on Friday and have 4 more to do today. Those are the ones I've penned up for fattening.

I have about 10 running around driving me bonkers that I have to shoot (as I can't catch them. Those I'll just take the breast and hindquarters, give the rest to the dogs. The 8 I penned up I do the same as you did (150° water) and pluck.

I think rooster tastes a lot better than store bought chicken. I cooked up one last night, baked it in the oven with a butter compound under the skin.. and ohhhh myyyyyy nuummmmm <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:02 pm __________ <br /><br /> oh oh oh! and chicken hearts are like meat candy.... I make a marinade and then either grill or put them under the broiler.

brown sugar
soy sauce
orange juice (or lilikoi juice)
garlic powder
dijon mustard
cayenne pepper (just a touch)

Marinate for a few minutes to over night

Broil and/or bbq. OMG chicken CANDY

I need to post want ads or something for roosters, that is awesome!

Wow, that's awesome! :eek: They look like store-bought chickens, actually. You wouldn't think you'd just butchered them after hanging them from a t-shirt. :lol:
I wonder if they taste good. :dinner:

funnies50":zyuh4mlt said:
Wow, that's awesome! :eek: They look like store-bought chickens, actually. You wouldn't think you'd just butchered them after hanging them from a t-shirt. :lol:
I wonder if they taste good. :dinner:

Trust me, Funnies, they will taste far better than any chicken you can buy from a store. They may not be quite so fork-tender (all that exercise chasing the hens) but the flavour will more than make up for that!

Back