Found this interesting looking rabbit!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, my rabbitry is about to be limited to how many holes I can fit into one large hutch, so I can't afford to take up a tonne of space on a for-fun side project...............but, I could justify picking up a Chinchilla Holland, with the goal to breed the Cutest Hollands Ever (because that is one of the PRETTIEST colors I've ever seen and I can't even comprehend how awesome a Holland in that color patterning would be!) and that way I could have the Coolest Colored Lops for my own entertainment, and easily rehome or sell those who don't fit the mini-program........worst comes to worst, Hollands can't taste all that different from my meat rabbits. ;) I'm just not sure I could slaughter something so cute. :(

Either way, I want to attend a Holland specialty show as a spectator in October. Maybe I'll find a nice doe there...and hey, I've already got the Tort buck............... ;)

Yeah Thuringer is genetically a tort, and Sallander is sometimes called "iron gray" in this country and is a chin-based tort. It's just one step down on the C-series than tort, and one step up from sable point.

Siamese satin is essentially the same color as Sallander.

I thought a torted chin was called a frosted pearl / ermine, they are way whiter and lighter than sable point.
A sallander looks identical to a Sable point only with a better showing pattern due to high selective breeding.
I don't see any agouti marks on the rabbit either so i think they are self and same as sable point, might be wrong though.
But agouti + chinchilla + nonextension = frosted pearl..

Then again, there are 2 chinchilla genes, dark and light chinchilla.
Sable point would be light chinchilla (chl)
Sallander would be chd which is dark chinchilla.. but that still doesn't explain the difference with frosted pearl.

Disney":2umh9otr said:
I thought a torted chin was called a frosted pearl / ermine, they are way whiter and lighter than sable point.
A sallander looks identical to a Sable point only with a better showing pattern due to high selective breeding.
I don't see any agouti marks on the rabbit either so i think they are self and same as sable point, might be wrong though.
But agouti + chinchilla + nonextension = frosted pearl..

Then again, there are 2 chinchilla genes, dark and light chinchilla.
Sable point would be light chinchilla (chl)
Sallander would be chd which is dark chinchilla.. but that still doesn't explain the difference with frosted pearl.
You are correct. Frosted pearl is non extension agouti with the chin gene present. Without the chin gene it would be a red. Sable Point is indeed the lighter chin gene and sallander the darker one and they are both self.

A nonextension chin has many names and it's not always lighter than a sable point. Mine are darker but repeated breedings have shown them to be nonextension and 1 chin/dark chin gene and 1 light chin/sable gene. Mine is 1 chin/dark chin gene and 1 light chin/sable gene and I was told 1 agouti and 1 marten gene but I disagree and think she's ata, otter/marten and self. When bred to my sable buck carrying extension I get sable point which has clean points and clean body, seal points which are the same but darker points and grey bodies, silver marten, and ermines which start out a swirly grey like someone took all the color out of a young chestnut or red and then it smooths out to an even off white sometimes with slight points.

What an interesting color pattern. It almost looks like something is casting a shadow on them. OH NO!!! Witchy buns. :twisted:

They do look like my Siamese satins. Siamese in satins is actually called Sallander. Here is my favorite of one of my satin bucks. Buster.

SmithsBusterstacked.jpg

Sable point and Sallander are different genes involved:

sallander is: aabbcchdee (normally. but can also be aabbchchdee or aabbchlchdee, all with chin (silver) gene which is dominant over himmy and sable gene. true sallander is aabbcchdee though. all other genes you will notice in the darker and or lighter collouring of the head and flank shadowing.

siamese is: aabbcchlee but can also be: aabbchchlee, same is above you will notice in slighter darker and or lighter collouring of the flanks and headmarkings.

difficulty is that the namegiving in different countries depends.
Sallander as a breed is from origin a dutch breed:)), the breed and this collouring (involving the chin gene!) is hence named Sallander mostly. (also in for instance mini lops, or collour dwarf or minirex).

Siam (involving the sable gene) is called siamese in english, UK and germany (siam), but also Sable Point and midden geel marter (which actually calles out the involved genes for this collour) in the netherlands.

So Sallander is geneticly a tort with a (one) chin gene
Sable Point (Siamese) is geneticly a tort with a (one) sable gene

any sable point (siamese ) with darker flanks or headshading would be suspicious of carrying the silver gene as these two collour are geneticly and from vieuw so very close together.
Sable points are supposed to have almost white/light cream flanks with no shading and same in the head, with only very slight shading around the nose head.

also see: http://wildriverrabbitry.weebly.com/shaded-mini-rex-color-guide.html

Back