Found a rotting kit/flies...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendhendrix

Reaction score
There is a question in this post, I promise!

This is my first experience with a new litter.
I have been checking on the kits once on the morning and then once in late evening. Yesterday evening (five full days old) as I leaned into the cage and pushed aside the fur for a head count, I decided I could detect the odor of rotting flesh. I was confused because all nine kits were very much alive. So I removed the nest box for easier access, unloaded each kit into a shoebox where they busily went about re-huddling, and I took apart the nest. I found the rotting remains of a heretofore uncounted kit stuck to the cardboard with which I had lined the wire floor of the nest box.(This puts litter size at 11; I had found one dead shortly after kindling.) I installed a new cardboard floor liner, rebuilt the nest with fresh hay, put the kits back in, and put the fur back on top. This morning all the kits are looking great, but I didn't scrutinize them, just checked for 9 wriggling active bodies.

When I disposed of the matted flattened blob, I saw no maggots.

Question: 1.) I realize now that I observed a fly emerge from the nest box as I was beginning to check on them last night. How likely is it that the entire litter is flystruck?
Question 2.) if there is a next time, should I immediately dissect the nest box after kindling to prevent this happening again? I'm horrified that these kits have basically been spooning with a dead sibling for 5 days.
Question 3.) I have only just become aware of the possibility of fly strike. While I don't have swarms of them under the cages, there are a few, and I'm wondering if there is an insecticide I can use to treat the ground/manure?

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 1,523
I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't see maggots and if you changed out the nesting materials. But I do think you should be vigilant, just in case, and check them out thoroughly for a few days.

As for the flies, I don't recommend using insecticides near the rabbits, even under the cages, if it can be avoided. You don't tell us much about your set-up (indoor/outdoor, dropping trays/poop accumulating on the ground under cages, etc.). If you give us more detail, we may be able to make some useful suggestions. (I did see your other post about the nest box, but could use some more detail.)

Also, would you please add your location to your profile. Just your state or province is enough, or your country if it is not the United States or Canada. So many rabbit questions (including this one) are influenced by location.

Thank you for your reply.

I have a 2-hole setup outdoors in a 3-sided shelter, hanging wire cages. The waste goes right onto the ground underneath from where I rake it up to throw on the flowerbeds every 3-6 weeks. A lot of hay ends up down there too. I sprinkle Sweet PDZ on the urine spots every week or so.

I updated my profile to include my location.

Thank you! <br /><br /> -- Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:19 pm -- <br /><br /> Thank you for your reply.

I have a 2-hole setup outdoors in a 3-sided shelter, hanging wire cages. The waste goes right onto the ground underneath from where I rake it up to throw on the flowerbeds every 3-6 weeks. A lot of hay ends up down there too. I sprinkle Sweet PDZ on the urine spots every week or so.

I updated my profile to include my location.

Thank you!

in the summer I'd recommend you move the manure out every week, just to prevent the build up that flies like for laying eggs. :)

The kind of fly that cause fly strike is commonly called a "blowfly" but from what I understand that can be several different species. If the flies you're seeing are just common houseflies your ok. Around here, blowflies have a kinda greenish tint to them but I don't know if that is the same everywhere or not.

I have only been cleaning out from under my cages a couple of times a year even during the summer. Until recently I was lucky enough to get soldier flies instead of maggots.

Now I have chickens so I don't get much of anything under the cages. If I'm really lucky, I can find a few earthworms...

To answer your second question, I go through my nest boxes after kindling for just his reason, along with removing any bloody/wet hay. I check them every other day after kindling for the first week or so as well. If I see any questionable kits, I check daily.

Back