Flemish Giant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are just trying to figure out a breed just to sustain our household needs. I have decided not to do the flemish but not I am just not to sure at what to do.

coffeenutdesigns":3om8xins said:
I am also of the opinion that if you are new to meat production rabbits or new to having to dispatch your own animals...it just seems EASIER to deal with a NZ or Cali, especially NZWs, that all look pretty much the same and aren't too terribly cute and cuddly, when it comes time to dispatch them. The cute ones that are sweet and have pretty colors and distinguishing features are just going to be harder to execute when the time comes.

This also applies when choosing replacement stock to keep. It is much easier to focus on conformation without the distraction of color or pattern.

When I mentioned that before, someone told me to close my eyes and go over the rabbits with my hands only to judge the keepers versus campers. :)

Commercial rabbitries often cross a Califorian buck on to New Zealand does, why dont you try a New zealand meat mutt on your girl and see how it goes.

If you choose a coloured NZ you will get all sorts of shades in the litter, if you chose white then they will all be Cali or REW

You can always upgrade later and if your doe has a nice temperament (some Cali lines can be 'feisty') and turns out to be a good mother then all the better.

countrymomma1991":x5lfow4b said:
We are just trying to figure out a breed just to sustain our household needs. I have decided not to do the flemish but not I am just not to sure at what to do.

That is my goal as well...just to put some meat in the freezer. No pets, no pelts, no shows. When I asked here the exact questions you are asking, I was led to NZWs and Calis. Of course there are other options, but these are the common choice for breaking into meat production.

The good thing is, whatever you decide is not permanent. If you get a breed you don't care for, put them in the freezer and start over.

I think that anyone who has not seen a real NZ meat rabbit in person would easily dismiss the meat:bone ratio and the difference it makes.

I have FGs and Meat Mutts, but I recently got some real NZWs and the difference is amazing. You have to have your hands on the rabbits to really tell, but oh you can tell! It's easy to see which is the better meat rabbit by far. Also, the FGs do eat quite a bit more... so if this is bias, it's biased towards reality and truth as far as I can tell.

That being said, a lot of rabbits are good for meat and have plenty of meat on them and even on the lower meat:bone on an FG is not such a bad thing as how much they eat. Meat:bone is one thing and is nice to optimize, but it's really feed:meat that is the real goal. For this NZs shine above FGs and giant breeds.

FG's are lovable though :D

countrymomma1991":r970g2ie said:
Ive never used a rabbit for meat just as pets and was just wondering.

You could start with a couple of meat mutts. That way, if you find that dispatching and processing is not a good option for you, you wont be out a large initial investment.

Of course, if you do start with purebred, pedigreed rabbits you could sell off the initial breeding stock and any young rabbits that you don't process.

If helping to conserve an endangered breed appeals to you, the ALBC has a list of breeds that you could research further:

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#rabbits

Thank you everyone.. my fiance will be doing the dispatching.. I know myself I can't since I do have pet rabbits also..

Back