First time pick ups — how do you do it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffleFarm

Reaction score
Our first litters are ready to go this weekend. I’m working through pick up… should I allow people on to my property? Or meet them locally?

Traditionally I thought to meet offsite. But these bunnies are hoppy/bouncy and we have done birds in the past which don’t leave cages or Don’t know they can fly yet.

We have a barn with a center aisle that’s open, and I have an exercise pen I could use for newbies to contain their babies while they meet them. But then comes bio security…

so what do you do?

When I sell a rabbit at my house (Keep in mind that my rabbits are kept in the basement) the person/people picking them up stay in the living room near the door. None of them have yet to go downstairs or ask to. The rabbit(s) is brought upstairs to them

Keep all visitors to your rabbits at the most minimum you can. Meet them somewhere off site if possible. Other than bio-security, there's the animal rights crazies as well as pure out and out thieves. How many of us keep the rabbit hutch locked?

If they must come to your property, do like ROC and set up an area away from the rest of the rabbits where they can meet their new pet. No worry about people unlocking hutch doors, screaming children running through the rabbit hutches, or their pet dog who is 'loves' bunnies roaming around the hutches. Half the time folks picking up a rabbit seem to think it comes with a farm tour.

Keep all visitors to your rabbits at the most minimum you can. Meet them somewhere off site if possible. Other than bio-security, there's the animal rights crazies as well as pure out and out thieves. How many of us keep the rabbit hutch locked?

If they must come to your property, do like ROC and set up an area away from the rest of the rabbits where they can meet their new pet. No worry about people unlocking hutch doors, screaming children running through the rabbit hutches, or their pet dog who is 'loves' bunnies roaming around the hutches. Half the time folks picking up a rabbit seem to think it comes with a farm tour.
That was kind of my concern—the farm tour.

I've never allowed anyone past the front yard. There is a real concern of disease as well as the potential for the person being there on the pretense of getting a rabbit but intending future theft or, like hotzcatz said, being an animal rights crazy who would cause you nothing but trouble.

I have met people with a rabbit in carrier, it is expected they bring their own means of carrying the rabbit and the transfer from one carrier to the other happens in the back of the car. Years ago in a rural farm community I let people come up to the hutch and pick out a baby, but that was a different time and place. biosecurity was not a concern as the person was not touching rabbits and the rabbits did not touch the ground at that time. Now I would not have them in my back yard, which is surrounded by a padlocked 6 foot chainlink fence.

please oh please people NEVER meet people at your home to sell animals.

In this day of animal rights activists you are setting yourself up for potential problems. It's also an excellent way for bad folks to case your house.

If your insurance does not know that you sell rabbits.. TELL THEM. Seriously, it can totally void your insurance if something happens.... and with animals.. something CAN happen.

Meet people OFF property. Protect yourselves and your other animals.

Let me be clear. Do NOT meet them in your front yard, or on the sidewalk in front of your house. Create some distance and make sure they don't follow you home. Meet them at a corner, or in front of a local landmark, or somewhere, just not anywhere immediately identifiable as your home.

please oh please people NEVER meet people at your home to sell animals.

In this day of animal rights activists you are setting yourself up for potential problems. It's also an excellent way for bad folks to case your house.

If your insurance does not know that you sell rabbits.. TELL THEM. Seriously, it can totally void your insurance if something happens.... and with animals.. something CAN happen.

Meet people OFF property. Protect yourselves and your other animals.

Let me be clear. Do NOT meet them in your front yard, or on the sidewalk in front of your house. Create some distance and make sure they don't follow you home. Meet them at a corner, or in front of a local landmark, or somewhere, just not anywhere immediately identifiable as your home.
Hmm. I am going to have to rethink what I am doing. I think your prudence is ot only wise, but warranted. Thank you for the warning.

I used to let folks visit, either just to see the bunnies or to buy a bunny, but there's been just so many of them that have shown up with additional people - who they didn't tell me they were bringing along - that I just don't want to deal with it anymore. One person brought four or five of her own kids along with the neighbor and the neighbor's three kids. Two van fulls of people that hadn't been mentioned when arrangements were made to pick up a bunny. What was this, some sort of school field trip? They didn't ask and definitely didn't pay for farm visits and the risk of chaos or injury to either bunnies or people is just too great.

I almost always have them come to the rabbitry. I have sold more rabbits when they can't make up their mind, even though they had already picked one out online. Seeing the cuties in person makes it hard to leave with just one LOL

Liz
that's where you pack up all your sellable bunnies and bring them along for a trip to the corner (or wherever you meet). :) Seriously.. meet people off property. You need to consider more than the immediacy of a potential sale.

I am sure that I have not sold as many rabbits as others in the thread. And mine are almost solely meat rabbits. And I have nearly always talked to the person at length. And they are often new rabbit breeders so seeing my set up is educational, not just nosy. If I were selling pets, I'd take the advice. As it is, I will continue to consciously take some premeditated risks in order to help folks around here. No judgment implied, it is only what I choose to do.

I am sure that I have not sold as many rabbits as others in the thread. And mine are almost solely meat rabbits. And I have nearly always talked to the person at length. And they are often new rabbit breeders so seeing my set up is educational, not just nosy. If I were selling pets, I'd take the advice. As it is, I will continue to consciously take some premeditated risks in order to help folks around here. No judgment implied, it is only what I choose to do.
Like you, I talk a good while before agreeing to sell to someone. Thus far, I have had only one person turn out to be someone I would not sell to. She didn’t ask the right questions and actually barely said anything in her email communications except wanting the rabbits, when and where to get them. Finally, I just got real with her and told her I didn’t feel comfortable selling to her, that the welfare of my rabbits is more important to me than anything else and I don’t sell to just anyone. She got all offended then disappeared. I was glad she went away.

Like you, I talk a good while before agreeing to sell to someone. Thus far, I have had only one person turn out to be someone I would not sell to. She didn’t ask the right questions and actually barely said anything in her email communications except wanting the rabbits, when and where to get them. Finally, I just got real with her and told her I didn’t feel comfortable selling to her, that the welfare of my rabbits is more important to me than anything else and I don’t sell to just anyone. She got all offended then disappeared. I was glad she went away.
Good call!!!! Very likely someone you would not want to sell rabbits to.

Back