First time breeding... scream?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
We bred our rabbits for the first time tonight. The first two connections were successful without a hitch, but the third was successful and then when the buck fell off, the doe screamed for a second. Is that typical? She was kind of pinned under him so I don’t know of it hurt her or scared her? Can it prevent ovulation at all if they’re spooked during breeding?

My does will grunt and growl at the buck if they are unhappy with his technique. They are the primary agressors in my experience, and they will tell him off roundly if he is not fast enough or slow enough to suit them. I did have a doe get close to the wire of the bucks cage once and the neighboring doe nipped her thru the wire and she squealed. She had 6 kits so I don't think it had much effect.

My does will grunt and growl at the buck if they are unhappy with his technique. They are the primary agressors in my experience, and they will tell him off roundly if he is not fast enough or slow enough to suit them. I did have a doe get close to the wire of the bucks cage once and the neighboring doe nipped her thru the wire and she squealed. She had 6 kits so I don't think it had much effect.
Good to know! Thank you!

I wouldn't worry. I've had bucks scream as they fell off (I assume a scream of pleasure) but with your doe I think she was probably just saying that she'd had enough. Mating induces the doe to ovulate so I doubt very much that a bit of discomfort would be enough to disrupt the process.

Rabbit screams are unnerving. I once had a kit about 17 days old scream when I picked him up. He was a "lonely only" and I had to rescue him from the colony and wean him early because the doe was not letting him nurse. He did fine on hay and moistened oatmeal and greens, but he was terrified if touched for the first little while in the house. But he got over it.

One of my bucks screams at every fall off, I’m guessing it’s pleasure as he’s always keen for more…like Maggie said, if it was the doe screaming maybe she had just had enough

Sydney used to yodel after a fall off. He'd still be yodeling while laying on his side. Then he'd get up and stomp about the place with his 'I'm the man! I'm the man!" attitude. Generally while the doe is rolling her eyeballs.

Some of the does squeak and meep if they don't like the buck, but haven't had any screamers yet.

There was the one little baby that screamed like he was being murdered the first time he was picked up. He's been the only one, though. So far, anyway.

Back