First rabbits, now ducks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucesquatch

Reaction score
Hey all!

I love this site and all that it has taught me in dealing with my rabbits...I have raised, harvested and eaten several and more are heading to freezer camp today! All made possible by the "Rabbit Talk" Think Tank! Now, on to our story...

We are getting ducks from Holleraread Farms in Corvallis, OR in a few months and I have been looking for a duck site like this one...any pointers...

We are ordering 10 Golden Cascades, they are a breed he developed that is a mixture of Campbell and Welsh Harlequin...mostly for laying, but I will need to cull a few due to living in the city limits...

This is my first post in this area, since I have been trying to focus (a rare occasion) on one thing at a time...

Thanks all!

brucesquatch":3jlray0r said:
Hey all!

I love this site and all that it has taught me in dealing with my rabbits...I have raised, harvested and eaten several and more are heading to freezer camp today! All made possible by the "Rabbit Talk" Think Tank! Now, on to our story...

We are getting ducks from Holleraread Farms in Corvallis, OR in a few months and I have been looking for a duck site like this one...any pointers...

We are ordering 10 Golden Cascades, they are a breed he developed that is a mixture of Campbell and Welsh Harlequin...mostly for laying, but I will need to cull a few due to living in the city limits...

This is my first post in this area, since I have been trying to focus (a rare occasion) on one thing at a time...

Thanks all!

You might try backyardchickens.com. They have a subforum dedicated to ducks. We have a small flock of Welsh Harlequins. Great layers, fact better than most chicken breeds on that score. We love'm (and eat them too...).

I don't know of any duck forums but have had ducks for many years. I started out with pekings as a kid then Muscovys as a teen and now I've got a small flock of Cayuga's for their blue eggs and meat.

In the summer they are pretty self sufficient on our two large ponds but with their high water intake, duck manure is a lot wetter than chickens and it can be a challenge keeping them tidy in the winter when they are cooped up more. The fact they dont perch adds to the problem as they pat down the bedding and are always in close contact with it. Thankfully they are pretty resistant to most parasites and are hardier than chickens.

To help solve this we have half of their floor are as wire that is raise above the wood chips high enough for a rake to fit under so we can "toss" the bedding each day. We also have raised their watered so they cannot play with it and quickly turn their floor into a wet mess or skating rink :)

Latest posts

Back