FINALLY

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOSSY NUT

Reaction score
I have another litter of Americans. For some reason she can't get what the box is for. This is her 3rd litter and she had everyone of them on the wire. I noticed that she pulled all the hay out so I put more in and left for about 30min. when i was feeding the chickens I heard something whimper. looked over and there were lil babies all over the place. She had 7 and 1 died :evil:

Me to I thought rabbits were supposed to have their babies at night. But i guess when it's time it's time. Well my New Zealand was bred at the same time and she has made a nest ( she seems to wait till the last minute ) but hasn't pulled any fur so I'm not wanting to go to sleep to make sure that I can keep an eye on her. But I'm at the bottom of my 2nd drink and Jim Beam is telling me it's time too go to sleep it's 1:18 now so it won't be long now and she will be on her own :lol:

My last litter [on the 18th] was born in the day time also, I went down to check on her [my man-eating doe] in the am and went back to do a walk-through just after lunch, and she had a box full of hair and 8 kits, so-- they were born between 7am and 1 pm-- but-- to each their own-- I was just happy she put them in the box.
--This doe is diferent then any doe I have ever had-- when I walk by-- she jumps off her perch and stands in front of the nest box opening and guards it, if I open the cage door she growls at me, when I walk off, she sticks her head in the nest box to check on her kits before she jumps back up to her perch. I have never seen a doe like this-- and I have raised thousands of them. --In a way it is very interesting to watch, and see if she weens all of the kits, or kills them from over protection issues, but-- if she bites me again I will loose my interest in studying her mothering instinct, and behavior.

Until she is accepting the box and feeding the kits regularly I'd pull it and give it to her only when you are nearby.

You don't want her digging out the kits/litter/eating the hay and letting them get cold.

Then, since she's done this three times, I'd cull her dead from your herd.

Keep one of her offspring, raise her near does who do the job right, and hope for the best.

MOSSY NUT":1pcc54r6 said:
I have another litter of Americans. For some reason she can't get what the box is for. This is her 3rd litter and she had everyone of them on the wire. I noticed that she pulled all the hay out so I put more in and left for about 30min. when i was feeding the chickens I heard something whimper. looked over and there were lil babies all over the place. She had 7 and 1 died :evil:
for me 3 strikes - means, you are out-- but-- to each their own--

Thanks guys but I built her a new box and she seems to be taken good care of them now. I will give her 1 more chance just because of the trouble I went through to get her.

Latest posts

Back