Finally!!! NOW I remember why I wanted to raise rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Finally got to make some fried rabbit for supper, complete with fried potatoes, cream gravy, and biscuits. I did throw in a salad just to make it a little healthy, lol. Food of my childhood. I was a picky eater but always loved my mom's fried rabbit. All my little locusts even got full, and with 3 kids, 2 of whom are teenagers, 1 of whom is a swimmer...THAT'S saying something. The swimmer just happens to be my 16yo daughter who said she wasn't ever going to eat rabbit. She changed her mind tonite, said she couldn't tell the difference between rabbit and chicken. :D SCORE! I made 3 rabbits cut into front legs, back legs, and the tenderloins. I think I had 4 of the front legs left. I guess it was a hit. I am so happy they liked it. Now the incorporating the meat into other meals will be much easier.

Ladysown, I don't really have a recipe, just dredged in some flour seasoned with a little salt and pepper and pan fried it. I fried until brown on both sides, lowered the heat and continued cooking on low with a lid over it for about 15 minutes or so? and then took the lid off, upped the heat again to get it crispy and popped in the oven to finish cooking/keep warm while I cooked everything else. I did use some of the frying grease and drippings to make the gravy. Oh, I did let the rabbit set in a strainer to get all the moisture off good so the flour would stick good.

The tenderloin pieces I cooked like chicken strips and went ahead and battered with flour, egg/milk dip, and flour again and cooked those in the deep fryer since I had it on to cook the potatoes. They came out better than chicken strips because they were very dense and meaty!

Nice! My bunch REALLY likes fried chicken. I'll have to try that when I have four or five rabbits at once in the freezer. We like to marinade our chicken in buttermilk for a few days--wonder how that would taste with rabbit?

Hmmm! Sounds really good. I have a litter that should be ready in another 2 weeks. I will give this a try.

Yum!

I have yet to try fried rabbit. We don't really fry things here (sorry, Southerners!), so I don't know how well I will manage it- but I am determined to give it a try! :p

Some friends of mine said fried rabbit is the best thing ever- maybe I'll get them to come over and cook it with me. :)

You "don't fry things here" - What the heck is wrong with you people???? Fried beast and cream gravy is its own food group. You need at least one serving a day!

Ummm... :oops: I make homemade french fries and onion rings... does that count at all? Or must it be "beast"? :?

paradox":2bm85fi3 said:
You "don't fry things here" - What the heck is wrong with you people???? Fried beast and cream gravy is its own food group. You need at least one serving a day!
:lol: :lol: :lol:<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":2bm85fi3 said:
Ummm... :oops: I make homemade french fries and onion rings... does that count at all? Or must it be "beast"? :?
It's a start... :lol:

Homemade fries and onion rings are SO GOOD!!!

OneAcreFarm":1v5dpzrw said:
I will make you some when I come up there, Sistah.... :stirpot2:

Mwa-ha-ha! :twisted:

You can be my kitchen slave! :gettowork:

Depending on how it turns out, your Hubs may have to come "rescue" you! :injail:

MamaSheepdog":hliv4fvk said:
OneAcreFarm":hliv4fvk said:
I will make you some when I come up there, Sistah.... :stirpot2:

Mwa-ha-ha! :twisted:

You can be my kitchen slave! :gettowork:

Depending on how it turns out, your Hubs may have to come "rescue" you! :injail:

Your BIL is coming with me! :mrgreen: He is actually a better cook than me!

Back