Fermented

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermented feed is not suggested for herbivores with a simple digestive tract like goats, rabbits, horses, and guinea pigs. They do not have multiple stomachs or other methods to avoid health problems that can come from fermented items. Contamination and mold is very easy to get and will kill all your animals real quick.

I know it is good for chickens
:shock: could you cite your sources for this?

Ruminants can utilize the acid by-products of bacterial fermentation, can digest the bacteria in their intestines and are biologically more resistant to contamination by moulds

but it was my understanding that the this high acid feed was damaging to their crop, offers less nutrition since the bacteria consume the amino acids and the birds are not able to digest bacteria in their intestines :shrug:

I feed my chickens fermented, they are healthier and eat much less, my rabbits used to get into the fermented alfalfa ALL the time, and yes it makes them fat very quick, but i just feed dry pellets right now cause its easier

Back