Female rabbit rejected one newborn and bit it's ear off!help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krank

Reaction score
Hello, yesterday after noon I was doing chores at animals when i went to my doe (my first rabbit) she had a nest that was moving (we breed her 25 february, and this was her first litter, previous one was imaginary pregnancy). Suddenly i saw one that was out the nest and she started biting it, the baby was screaming. When i took him out i noticed he had an ear bitten off - whole ear. We took him to our house and put him in a box with old t-shirts and when its cold we put a warm bootle on the box. I've fed him 4 times already, in one hour i'll be feeding him again. I massage his tummy and genitals area slightly. I guess he pooped some - there is some dark "thingys" in the box and even sticked to his legs. I feed him 1ml of warm goat milk with prebiotics every 4 hours and then massage his tummy. I'd be grateful for any advices :pancake: :bunnyhop:
PS: the wound has dried and scabbed i think.

-- Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:33 am --

I'd appreciate an answear to this question: when do i change feeding times and quantities? and when do i stop giving him milk? <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 am -- <br /><br /> This is how he looked like yesterday and how today

Attachments

• nowandyesterday.jpg
    nowandyesterday.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 391
you are doing fine...
in the beginning -feeding smaller amounts, more often, is good.
After the kit survives a few days, and you see it is accepting the "new formula",
without developing troubles, you "can" feed a little more, less often.
I would say... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

michaels4gardens":3lehlfft said:
you are doing fine...
in the beginning -feeding smaller amounts, more often, is good.
After the kit survives a few days, and you see it is accepting the "new formula",
without developing troubles, you "can" feed a little more, less often.
I would say... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I like your thinking - just like mine. He peed on me when i was holding him an hour ago. He poops too. He doesn't have such big belly as rabbits in images of well fed baby but maybe because i feed him smaller amounts often while doe feeds once/twice a day more? Tbh my feeding makes about 6ml of goat milk with prebiotics every 24h. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:56 am -- <br /><br /> As you can see he developed some hair through the night, became more plump and i think his nails seem a bit longer

he/she's definitely looking better today! good job! but the poor baby :(
what breed is he/she?
i think it would be best to start off giving him smaller amounts of milk but more often, and then increase the amount and slowly decrease how many times you feed him
hope everything goes well!

beanchild79":2e1h0l4n said:
what breed is he/she?
i think it would be best to start off giving him smaller amounts of milk but more often, and then increase the amount and slowly decrease how many times you feed him
Mother was somewhat californian and father was some black rabbit. I really hope he gets better. Some people say to put him back to nest while his mother isn't there but i'm afraid she'd kill him. If he gets weaker (i hope he won't) i'll try to feed him his mother milk, but for now he seems okay. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:31 pm -- <br /><br />
beanchild79":2e1h0l4n said:
what breed is he/she?
Mother was somewhat californian and father was some black rabbit. I really hope he gets better. Some people say to put him back to nest while his mother isn't there but i'm afraid she'd kill him. If he gets weaker (i hope he won't) i'll try to feed him his mother milk, but for now he seems okay.

okay so in other words, she/he's not purebred :)

Mm, i wouldnt put him back in the nest just to be safe...now that he's been out for a while he might have weird and different smells on him that the mom could notice and end up killing him. well if he does start to get weaker there always this milk recipe that you could try using (if you arent already) :
1/2 cup evaporated goat's milk (undiluted)
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon powdered colostrum supplement for newborn animals
1/8 teaspoon Bene Bac probiotic powder
**do NOT microwave to heat**
heat in warm water so they can digest the formula

keep us posted!! :bunnyhop:

beanchild79":1hqya6e3 said:
okay so in other words, she/he's not purebred :)

Mm, i wouldnt put him back in the nest just to be safe...now that he's been out for a while he might have weird and different smells on him that the mom could notice and end up killing him. well if he does start to get weaker there always this milk recipe that you could try using (if you arent already) :
1/2 cup evaporated goat's milk (undiluted)
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon powdered colostrum supplement for newborn animals
1/8 teaspoon Bene Bac probiotic powder
**do NOT microwave to heat**
heat in warm water so they can digest the formula

keep us posted!! :bunnyhop:
That's what i think too. I'm just scared that she'd kill him. His ear wound has dried/scabbed, so thanks God there isn't an infection. I would rather try feeding him his mother milk by holding her still and letting him drink, just like on yt. But that's only when he becomes weaker and i really hope he won't. I'm also worried about him changing "diet", as i don't even know if he had eaten rabbits milk.

yeah, probably should just keep him away from the mom... are there other babies in the nest? is the mom fine with them? no aggression?
with my first litter (which was about two or three months ago) i held up some of the babies to the mom (someone was holding the mom upright tho) for them to nurse, and that worked pretty well altho after a while the mom got kinda irritated by being handled so much. might be a good idea to do that now actually- mom's milk is always best! i don't think it'd be a problem to change his diet rn seeing as he's only a day old.
I'm glad his ear wound is doing good tho!

beanchild79":27ys3v4x said:
yeah, probably should just keep him away from the mom... are there other babies in the nest? is the mom fine with them? no aggression?
with my first litter (which was about two or three months ago) i held up some of the babies to the mom (someone was holding the mom upright tho) for them to nurse, and that worked pretty well altho after a while the mom got kinda irritated by being handled so much. might be a good idea to do that now actually- mom's milk is always best! i don't think it'd be a problem to change his diet rn seeing as he's only a day old.
I'm glad his ear wound is doing good tho!
I won't put him in nest :/ for now i'm doing goat milk with prebiotics but even though i give him about 6-7ml of that mixture daily, he doesn't seem to get this round belly that fed rabbits do. Can it be because of the fact that i feed him 1ml 6 times every 24h so he digests it like before another portion?

sounds good.
okay, yeah that could be. maybe if you fed it to him a bit more often you'd see a full bunny tummy but it could be that he doesn't have enough strength to get all the food that he needs in one sitting - time would fix that

beanchild79":26hrhai3 said:
sounds good.
okay, yeah that could be. maybe if you fed it to him a bit more often you'd see a full bunny tummy but it could be that he doesn't have enough strength to get all the food that he needs in one sitting - time would fix that
I mean - i feed him every 4 hours and that makes 1ml 6 times and i don't know if am doing right thing because doe feeds her babies twice a day.

pretty sure they get a lot from the doe when she feeds them which makes it so she can feed them twice a day

Latest posts

Back