Feeding The ND

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel.And.Yue

Reaction score
Just curious, I know my sister was told what amount to feed (rabbit feed pellets from Purina?) to her large "meat" breeds and her smaller lops and mini rexes...

but since she has never had this breed and cannot tell me what to give my new ND I thought I would ask here

what amount do you feed to a Netherland Dwarf buck? When breeding and when not. (I know with horses you increase their feed etc. when breeding)

I have been giving him as much as he wants of the pellets and the occasional treat (carrot piece usually). With daily hay.

He was still growing but it looks like he has stopped growing physically. Keep in mind that he is young. Born this winter/early spring.

Thanks for any help!
Rachel

My very active 3 pound house bunny ND's get 2 oz of low protein (14%) pellets and free choice hay. I would recommend this but as your boy is still growing, I would give him a 16% protein or higher until he stops.

I would rub him down daily to detect if he is getting chunky or lean and decrease or increase his pellets as needed.

Some rabbits have high metabolisms and some slow, for example my 9 year old 11 pound NZ cross buck only gets 6 oz of pellets and is still a beef cake.

Thank you for this advice Dood :D

I have mostly been raising NZs so this is good to know. What can you expect on a ND at a healthy weight when you rub him? I will be weighing him as well to compare.

Back