Feeding rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaggieJ":170hq0ts said:
cmfarm, Grumpy has recently had problems with his rabbits and he is quite sure it was due to a bad batch of feed. I suggest you review his thread about it before making any decisions about what brand to feed.
bad-feed-dead-rabbits-t20685.html
Thanks for letting me know! I defently look around for something else then. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm __________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":170hq0ts said:
cmfarm":170hq0ts said:
grumpy":170hq0ts said:
I feed "Kent" commercial feed. 17% protein @ $28.00 per 100#'s.

The feed store owner buys a ton at a time for me and stores it in his warehouse.

All rabbits are fed this brand with alfalfa hay as a supplement. The hay is fed two to four times a week.

grumpy.

Is this what you use?:
"Top Show Family is a complete, 17% protein diet for lactating does, a starter diet for growing bunnies, or a maintenance diet for mature larger rabbit breeds."
I am thinking about switching feeds. I seem to having trouble getting the rabbits to become pregnant (they will breed but not conceive, and this is with 2 different bucks) and I have some youngsters I am raising for future breeders that aren't growing like I would like to see. I like the brand for the chickens (Wendland's, it is milled about not too from here) just doesn't seem to be working out for the rabbits. There is a Kent supplier about 45 minutes from me, and my husband drives out that way often for work so he could pick it up. I am not sure about the price yet, my phone isn't getting a signal for some reason this morning.

check your feed and see if selinium is added, a low selenium / trace mineral deficient diet, will cause some reproduction / growth problems-- you may need to add a mineral suplement.
-- the premix that is used to make rabbit feed rations at the mill, might not have a correct mineral balance for your area. Also-- growth rate is at least as much about available energy in the ration as it is about protein

Thanks for the info. I will look into that.

Back