Eye issue

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
Hi, been a while since I posted on here.
One of my rabbits has been crying from both her eyes for over a year now. Ive been watching her eyes like a hawk this whole time but her eyes were always clear and so I didn't understand why she was crying all the time. I've done eyedrops but it never stopped the crying either. I don't know how old she is, she was sold to me with a "I think 1 year old" couple years back, wich'd make her about 3, but I'm sure she's much older than just 3 years.....
Well yesterday one of her eyes had a change, almost looks like roots. I'm thinking she's just going blind with cataracts, but I was curious what you guys would think of it.

Attachments

• 282716308_753322399170504_5282520818376106449_n.jpg
    282716308_753322399170504_5282520818376106449_n.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 280658164_1574220342979750_6480227144920950660_n.jpg
    280658164_1574220342979750_6480227144920950660_n.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 8
eye issues are, in my experience, indicative of
1. teeth issues
2. pasteurella
3. allergies

Blossoming eye issues are indicative of a need to visit a vet. :)

eye issues are, in my experience, indicative of
1. teeth issues
2. pasteurella
3. allergies

Blossoming eye issues are indicative of a need to visit a vet. :)
I'd been thinking allergies myself since no treatments had any effect. Might be something in my hay bales. My bunnies are all treated against parasites and her teeth are fine I check everybunny every few months.
Has for vet visit, that's a big nope. Bunny vets are ridiculously expensive over here and she's a retired doe I should've culled a long time ago. I just like her too much and kept her. I don't mind if she goes blind as long as she's comfy. I put her with a younger doe and they're getting along very well so she's happy.

I have the same trouble. Not quite so advanced though. One of my does was in perfect health when I got her and in about a week of being with me she developed it. Never dried up and none of my other rabbits have any symptoms of it so it's not contagious. All live in close proximity to each other. I think mine is allergy too, I've tried giving her oral allergy drops in her water and treating it with a teabag (regular), and it started to dry up until the weather suddenly turned cold. Change in weather brought it back on and I don't know where to go next. I took the hay from her previous owner cos she was wanting to get out of rabbits, and she developed it while she was still on that batch of hay. No change when a new batch of hay. So if it's allergy, it's not in the hay. She's the first rabbit that has started my rabbitry. I could take her to the vet, but we don't really have rabbit vets in the entire country. They are learning from other breeders that I know.
Eyes are like the window to a rabbits health. I wonder if she might have something more wrong than just eyes, like a tumour or a disease like pasturella or something inside? She's big. I've wondered if shes overweight and fat. She's always hungry to a phenomenal level. Much more so than my other rabbits and I don't feed her any more.

I bought her as breeding stock and she's never been well enough to breed. I should move her on, but I don't feel it's responsible to sell a sickly rabbit, but I dont want to kill her cos then I'd have to buy another rabbit and I'm still setting up rabbits and I haven't had any kits from her yet. She's 8 months. I got her at 5mths. Want to get her better enough to breed.

@KimitsuKouseki You could try dosing her every day with colloidal silver. That saved one of my other rabbits that was on deaths door. She's now recovered and is pregnant now...feel so happy 😊

I should dose my doe with the bad eye as well, I just struggle cos she's always grumpy at me (never used to be) and boy oh boy she will NOT be picked up to be dosed! Hides in her box and snaps, barks and squeaks at me if I try. Always had snuffly nose. Only recently gotten grumpy at me.

She's still weepy eye, not gone funny looking with 'roots' like yours, @KimitsuKouseki .

Would love to know what you do with yours and if you find a remedy!

Latest posts

Back