Early Nesting Behavior(?)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay Krawsczyn

Rabbit Breeder
Reaction score
So, I’ve got one of my smaller does acting a little weird. She has very good nesting instincts, has in the past built gorgeous nests and I’ve seen her get started a tiny bit early before, but it’s two weeks until she should be nesting and I’ve noticed she’s showing some behavior of it already. Nothing big, no hair pulling, but she is doing that thing where she tried to make a little nest from her hay/straw instead of eating it.

So, for context, I tend to keep straw/hay on top of my cages, at the moment it’s straw. It’s convenient, keeps them a little warmer in the winter, and honestly provides some enrichment as most of them will reach up and pull the straw or hay through the tops of their cages. This one Doe I have, Marshmallow to be specific, likes to pull the straw through the top and sort of carry it around and arrange it in her cage when she starts nesting. She’ll fill the corners with little piles of straw until I give her her nest box and sometimes after I do so. And, I noticed she’s already started to doing that. There’s no way she’s actually farther along than I think, so I’m not sure why she would be trying to make a straw nest two weeks early.

If it’s in any way helpful, she’s a Lionhead mix. If I remember correctly there’s possibly some Cali and Mini Rex in there as well, but it’s not certain as I didn’t know the breeds of several of the rabbits I bred her line from.

Some of mine also have a nesting urge around this time in the pregnancy, little dips in the bedding or some such. Ends with a healthy litter on the due date so probably something to do with pregnancy hormones and good mothering abilities.

So, I’ve got one of my smaller does acting a little weird. She has very good nesting instincts, has in the past built gorgeous nests and I’ve seen her get started a tiny bit early before, but it’s two weeks until she should be nesting and I’ve noticed she’s showing some behavior of it already. Nothing big, no hair pulling, but she is doing that thing where she tried to make a little nest from her hay/straw instead of eating it.

So, for context, I tend to keep straw/hay on top of my cages, at the moment it’s straw. It’s convenient, keeps them a little warmer in the winter, and honestly provides some enrichment as most of them will reach up and pull the straw or hay through the tops of their cages. This one Doe I have, Marshmallow to be specific, likes to pull the straw through the top and sort of carry it around and arrange it in her cage when she starts nesting. She’ll fill the corners with little piles of straw until I give her her nest box and sometimes after I do so. And, I noticed she’s already started to doing that. There’s no way she’s actually farther along than I think, so I’m not sure why she would be trying to make a straw nest two weeks early.

If it’s in any way helpful, she’s a Lionhead mix. If I remember correctly there’s possibly some Cali and Mini Rex in there as well, but it’s not certain as I didn’t know the breeds of several of the rabbits I bred her line from.
Just last month I had one frantically making her nest about 10 days early. No hair pulling just a lovely tunnel in her nest box. Then she was fine, relaxed and chill. I figured it was a false pregnancy but then right on time she pulled hair and had her litter. She's never done it before so I don't know what got in to her. No bunny psychiatrists around so I'll just shrug my shoulders and go on about my business. :sneaky:

In the category of crazy nesting behaviour i bred a doe because she showed nesting behaviour (haystaching). The babies on he brain thing did result in a litter 31 days later.

Those early nests are usually a piece of art, though. Most nests I see are just a pile of hay with kits and fur in the middle, but the few early ones are structural masterpieces that have supports and almost look like a woven basket.

The kits arrive, and it doesn't last more than a few days before it looks like every other nest, but that is the nature of transitory art.

The latest masterpiece is almost destroyed now. I hadn't realized until I reached in to count the kits that it was a narrow tunnel for about half a foot, then an honest to God spherical den within!

my Californian doe did that same thing! About two weeks early too! It looked beautiful! I thought it was a false pregnancy but she gave birth on day 32. 🤷🏽‍♀️

My doe also started nesting two weeks early, just like your Californian. This can be normal behavior even if it's not pregnancy. Rabbits sometimes start nesting early, especially if they have access to nesting materials all the time. If there are no other concerning symptoms, no need to worry. Give her some more hay or straw for the nest and keep observing. If she kindles on day 32, it will be a beautiful litter! Keeping my fingers crossed for you;)!

Ok so, update on this. I asked my grandfather, who’s a far more experienced breeder than I am and has a degree in veterinary medicine, and he said give them their nesting boxes since they’re trying to nest. So, they’ve both been given their boxes now (Note, I have another doe bred and she started to trying to nest early the day after. Theyre full sisters, different litters). They’ve both built gorgeous nests, no fur yet but I usually don’t see that until roughly the day-of.

So, back with an update, the doe this was originally about has now had babies. Theirs four, they’re all healthy from what I can tell and were born some time yesterday in the afternoon. She built a gorgeous nest, by the way. Still waiting for the other to have kits however

Here’s the litter that’s been born already thoughIMG_8334.jpeg
IMG_8335.jpeg

So, the other litter was born this morning. One stillborn, the other was cold when I found it and a bit smushed. I attempted to save it, however it died anyways. But, it was the does first litter. So, it’s a better luck next time sort of situation. The first litter is doing very well though

Latest posts

Back