Early mustaching

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When a doe carrys hay around obviously trying to make a nest at let's say 20 days should I throw the nest box in? Is it too early? I've also read that if they do this at 14 days they aren't pregnant is this true?

Nothing can go wrong if to you put the nest box in early. Except you might have to clean it out a few times before the kits are due. You'll probably save some kits from being born on the floor. It seems better to let the doe do what she wants to do.

I have a doe that just pleads with me to put her nesting box in shortly after she is impregnated. She always wins. She is still eight days out and has been working on her nest for about a week. I put a handful of straw in each morning and night. She picks it up and adds it to her nest. No issues and it keeps her busy.

Attachments

• Penny.jpg
    Penny.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 2
When a doe carrys hay around obviously trying to make a nest at let's say 20 days should I throw the nest box in? Is it too early? I've also read that if they do this at 14 days they aren't pregnant is this true?
It depends on the doe. I have one who if she Dosen't start nesting at 14 days she didn't take. And a few who if they do the same missed that breeding. Best to record when you see nest building and just keep track.

It can be a hint, but it isn't conclusive in any way. Imo depends on their nest building instincts - mine dig tunnels at around 2 -3 weeks, carry hay in and seal the entrance. When the time comes they open one up, make a good nest and have the kits there. At least if I'm not vigilant and keep them in their hutch with the nestbox.

Putting a nestbox in when she has the urge to build a nest is always a good idea, makes her get used to it.

Back