Ear Ripped Open

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderHill

Reaction score
Hi! So I have my very first rabbit injury tonight. A 9.5 week old buck had a chunk of skin ripped off his ear. I went out to check on everyone and lock them up for the night and found him all bloody, with the wound still bleeding. The flap of skin is still attached and just dangling off (sorry no pictures - I was just concerned about taking care of him at the time).

He didn't seem all too bothered by it, and was just trying to clean himself up. I sprayed the wound with Bedatine, wrapped it with gauze, and secured it with medical tape. When I left him, he didn't seem to be bothering it, so hoping he leaves the bandage alone.

So is this okay, or what should I have done? Should I cut off the dangling piece of skin? I've read a few threads on here that said to apply raw honey? Was it most likely the mature buck in the cage next to him? He is still in a cage with his brother, and on the other side are more 9.5 week old buck growouts. I didn't see blood on anyone else to indicate who attacked him.

Thanks for any advice! I'll post an update and photo in the morning.

Hi! So I have my very first rabbit injury tonight. A 9.5 week old buck had a chunk of skin ripped off his ear. I went out to check on everyone and lock them up for the night and found him all bloody, with the wound still bleeding. The flap of skin is still attached and just dangling off (sorry no pictures - I was just concerned about taking care of him at the time).

He didn't seem all too bothered by it, and was just trying to clean himself up. I sprayed the wound with Bedatine, wrapped it with gauze, and secured it with medical tape. When I left him, he didn't seem to be bothering it, so hoping he leaves the bandage alone.

So is this okay, or what should I have done? Should I cut off the dangling piece of skin? I've read a few threads on here that said to apply raw honey? Was it most likely the mature buck in the cage next to him? He is still in a cage with his brother, and on the other side are more 9.5 week old buck growouts. I didn't see blood on anyone else to indicate who attacked him.

Thanks for any advice! I'll post an update and photo in the morning.
I had one get his ear ripped half off, it actually healed and I can't see the wound scar at all now! If it's dangling it may be a bit more difficult to heal but that's up to you! You did good disinfecting it and wrapping it though!

I had one get his ear ripped half off, it actually healed and I can't see the wound scar at all now! If it's dangling it may be a bit more difficult to heal but that's up to you! You did good disinfecting it and wrapping it though!
Thanks!

He pulled off the bandage, and here's how it looks now. I'm thinking I'll just snip off that loose piece and then leave it alone, maybe apply the Bedatine every few days. Does this sound okay?
20211119_105621.jpg

Thanks!

He pulled off the bandage, and here's how it looks now. I'm thinking I'll just snip off that loose piece and then leave it alone, maybe apply the Bedatine every few days. Does this sound okay?
View attachment 28329
Up to you! Snipping it isn't a bad idea, mine looked a lot like that and healed itself, but you could definitely snip it! He looks like he will be ok, you're doing great! Yes bedatine sounds good c: hope it helps sorry I'm not the best for advice haha!

Has anyone used comfrey cream on their rabbits? I've used it on myself and it seems to speed up the healing process and I've seen it used on chickens (works great!)

Oh, that looks bad for the bunny. I hope it heals okay.

Has anyone used comfrey cream on their rabbits? I've used it on myself and it seems to speed up the healing process and I've seen it used on chickens (works great!)
I haven't, but we grow comfrey so I'd love to know if it's a good option and how to make it!
Oh, that looks bad for the bunny. I hope it heals okay.
Thanks! He seems to be doing okay.

Back