Dwarfs that are faders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
For those who raise dwarf rabbits (e.g., Netherland Dwarfs), approximately what percent of offspring end up being faders? Just a rough estimate from your experience would be greatly appreciated. Please, don't include peanuts in the estimate. I'm thinking more of those that suddenly die between 6 and 8 weeks, and have the associated characteristics (small, seemingly perfect type, etc.). Thanks.

Faders in dwarf rabbits - I get from 15 breeding rabbits. maybe two TRUE faders per year.

In my experience: Others that "act like faders" are often suffering from a latent undiagnosed illness. It's interesting how often they won't have any symptoms of coccidia, or e.cunniculi, or an internal "off-ness" .... yet treat for it and they start doing better. so if I have one that fades I first treat for coccidia, then treat for cunniculi and then will give a long-lasting penicillin if I think the bunny warrants it. Most often with persistent faders I will euthanize as they (to me) represent rabbits with poor immune system.

My thinking is, if they don't respond to treatment, I don't want them to suffer, ergo euthanizing is the kindest option.

I don't want my rabbits to suffer long-term in pet homes nor do I wish them to pass on poor immune systems. So they have to make it to four months and be fine the last three weeks before I consider passing them into a pet home.

Back