Doe's preferances re: nestboxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has encountered problems with different nestbox designs.

Last night my JRT started alerting to a problem with kits in the rabbitry. I heard occasional squeaks from some kits, and looked everywhere for a stray. The squeaking from the nest increased, and when I pulled a kit out it was unfed, as were the others. BF611 was perched on top of the nestbox, but would jump off when the kits started squeaking, look in the box, and jump back on top. It finally came to me that she was trying to feed them by sitting on the back of the nest.

I ended up switching the litter to an all wire nest that is completely open at the top. She jumped right in and started nursing, with her head and forequarters raised, an impossible position with a half covered nest. She didn't stay long enough, so I took her and the nest out, and put her in and pet her while they fed.

I just purchased these metal boxes, and have only used the open topped wire nests before. The height of the boxes is about equal, with the all metal ones being slightly wider. I can understand that a doe used to one type might resist a change in design, but this is a maiden doe with no prior experience. :?

I don't know what type of nests the breeder used, but am wondering if that might be a factor that affects the nursing behavior in the line. One of my does nurses her kits in a crouched and rounded position, nose tucked down into the nest, but most of the others seem to prefer being able to "keep a lookout" while they feed.

Interesting....all mine nurse in the crouched position...at least that I have seen.

It is rare that I see most does feed at all, so it could be that my presence changes their behavior and they raise their heads because I may be considered a threat.

I hear that from so many people...but mine always seem to be hopping in to nurse after I come in to care for them. I just have strange rabbits....

Mine never mind me being there either. And I have some that really burrow them down in the hay and at feeding time, wiggle around until all have access. It's pretty impressive...

Was this a first time mother or has she been successful in the past?

Some hunch over the young like you were saying and my niny, that is her new name, prefers to eat the hay as she nurses, so she sticks her face down in the back of the nest and munches away as the kits nurse. I have to keep adding hay back there so she will nurse longer. I use the nest boxes that have a bit of a shelf in the back and angle down to the front. I bought two metal ones and then for Christmas my husband made me a bunch out of wood with changable wood liners. He is an enabler of rabitosis.

Some of my does will hop in when I'm there, but most often they hop back out pretty quickly.

AZ, yes, she is a first time mother. I had her feed the kits again this morning, as they didn't look full. They didn't get the "ping pong belly" but they did look rounded after the feeding.

MamaSheepdog":3f9vuuv7 said:
AZ, yes, she is a first time mother.
Sometimes it takes them a couple litters to get good at it. Some start out as great mothers from day one.

Niny is going to FC as soon as her litter is in grow out. She is a sweet doe but honestly with mastitis, odd mothering behavior, and , not a very good looking specimen I am just going to have to say goodbye. I am planning on thinning to get more space for one of my Silver Fox doe kits. Clover the celibate it also going. Just can't keep them if they are not as easy as the others that I have. Akane is right about that. Cull them out if they are not the best. Especially meat rabbits.

I differ a lot from most people with my nest boxes. I prefer an enclosed box attached outside the cage so it resembles a dark burrow. I make them of wood with removeable floorboards so I can clean them with bleach after a litter no longer needs it. The top is also removeable so I can have access to the kits. It also doubles as a shelter box in nasty weather when it's not being nested in. My does all keep them clean and I never find rabbit berries in them. When I tried giving my bucks enclosed shelter boxes they made a messy poop pile out of them. You know how it is with us batchelors and housecleaning.

Back