Does Corid Have Side Effects? And Accurate Use.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
I was just curious if Corid gives rabbits any side effects?

Also, I was reading a post by a vet somewhere that for Corid to work effectively, you need to to change out the mixture in the water bottle after 24hrs before it becomes ineffective. Has anyone done this? I just treated my 5 days on (now on 5 days off) and had noticed runny stools in all my rabbits while on it as well as the fact that I'd only add a fresh mixture of Corid/water once their bottles were empty...not necessarily after every 24 hour span.

Thanks!

I make a new mix daily for the herd.

I just started treatment on my herd 3 days ago and have noticed one doe with mushy stool and I have a few that have developed a decent amount of cecal poop. To counter it, I just gave them oats today. I feel like it is the drug at work, but it's still too soon for me to know for sure.

I have a question myself LOL

After treating 5 days, do you wait 5 or 10 days before the follow up? I'm getting mixed information on the internet!

There are multiple approaches. The 5 days on, 5 days off, 5 days on is the most common used. I hand dosed mine with straight corid liquid from a syringe rather than mixing it up and having to fill each waterer. It wasn't that time consuming with all the practice I have medicating things. My husband caught one in the colony, I squirted in it's mouth, and we put it in a separate pen. Then I did the caged rabbits. Mine didn't have any changes in stool. The cocci can cause loose stools by itself so it's not really surprising to get it while treating. Some oats and grass hay should help.

It's very important to clean the environment. Cocci can survive indefinitely in the environment and you will likely never get rid of all of it. Sterilize cages, remove any bedding on the floor, if they are over dirt you might want to scrape the top off, and we sprayed a bleach solution in the colonies. After that try to keep things as dry as possible. It can be hard in high humidity areas and it was the humidity plus the water collecting on bottles of ice and running down that led to our outbreak. Cleaning the environment and drying things out went farther to help eliminate cocci than medication.

akane":36j82vu2 said:
Sterilize cages, remove any bedding on the floor, if they are over dirt you might want to scrape the top off, and we sprayed a bleach solution in the colonies. After that try to keep things as dry as possible. It can be hard in high humidity areas and it was the humidity plus the water collecting on bottles of ice and running down that led to our outbreak.

What kind of bleach solution? is it the 1/10 bleach to water mixture?

Dood":36j82vu2 said:
It becomes inert after 24 hours so a new batch must be made each day.

I was thinking this to be true. So it's safe to restart my herd? I don't know if there's such a thing as too frequent of use of Corid?

In birds there is a vitamin deficiency that can happen if kept on amprolium too long. Usually you only feed it to chicks. I'm not sure it's effect on mammals long term.

I have a 1:4 or 1:5 solution for cleaning hedgehog cages and just used that. We were spraying rubber mats and plywood floor rather than dirt under cages.

I have used Corid successfully ,I just add it to the automatic watering system for a week ,in the fall after breeding season is over, -- but I think my trial with garlic and garlic chives, has worked very well also,[and helps with other troubles], so, I may continue with garlic until I find out if there is a problem that develops with that approach . - and it would be quite interesting if garlic killed EC as well [another protozoan parasite]

garlic-for-coccidiosis-and-maybe-e-c-protozoan-parasites-t20890.html

Garlic and onion destroy red blood cells in mammals. You won't see the side effects until something major happens. Otherwise the effects are minor such as lethargy and maybe difficulty breeding that many would attribute to some other problem. It's a silent killer. It does take quite a bit of garlic to do much damage though. They'd have to eat a whole garlic clove or 2 to get acute problems. Long term use takes much lower amounts to cause problems but it still takes a fair amount. I just prefer not to play russian roulette because no one knows exactly how much garlic or onion causes health problems. When treating an illness I like to be able to measure a known safe dose.

Latest posts

Back