Doe flop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southbound_SF

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a DOE fall over when breeding? The first time she did it, it looked just like the typical spasmodic buck fall-off. I reached in to make sure she was ok, and she got back up & acted normal. I had just put her in with the buck & he'd gotten her once. They mated 3 or 4 more times, and in between she would do this again, though I could tell she was doing it on purpose. Maybe like, "Hey buddy, let's get back to doing this thing"? Once she did it just as he was starting to mount her - not very productive, lady!

She's 2 years old, bred many times including with this buck, and I've never seen her do anything like this before. I was briefly concerned about a neurological condition, but I don't think I should be. The doe had just lost a newborn litter 2 days ago* so she was very willing to breed. She's generally a reluctant breeder, though a great mother. Maybe I just caught her at the right time! Still, weird.

SB

*Due to my own stupidity - meant to give her more nesting materials in the morning (to replace those she'd scattered), so of course this is the one time she kindles on time. Well covered with fur, looked fed, but cold & dead because I didn't give her the tools she needed to build a nest warm enough for this weather. :evil:

When my does are feeling very fertile / frisky ( often when they are bred the day after giving bitth :) ) they will do a sort of shoulder drop / side roll and rub their sides along the floor when in the breeding pen with the buck.

Sorry to hear about your lost litter :(

Thanks, Dood. I don't normally breed back that quickly (due to lack of growout space), but I'm starting to think this doe would prefer it that way on a regular basis!

SB

Latest posts

Back