Doe building a nest

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Have a doe already building a nest and pulling fur but she isn't due till the 21 or 22 of this month. Is this normal for them to start this early? Her last litter she built a nest like a week early but didn't pull any fur till either right before having them or after she had them. I'm kind of worried a little because it's why to early for her to have them.

That is a little early. Did you give her a nest box already? If her last litter was the same way and was fine I would not worry.

Sometimes their hormones will get the better of them a bit early. Sometimes, it can indicate a false pregnancy. I've had does building nests only two weeks along, though, and it doesn't turn out to be a false pregnancy.

When I have a doe that wants to play house early on, I just give them a nice lump of hay to play with. I double-check my dates to make sure I KNOW for sure when she is due. And then I just wait until day 28 to give her a box.

Miss M":p9wtcub4 said:
Sometimes their hormones will get the better of them a bit early. Sometimes, it can indicate a false pregnancy. I've had does building nests only two weeks along, though, and it doesn't turn out to be a false pregnancy.

When I have a doe that wants to play house early on, I just give them a nice lump of hay to play with. I double-check my dates to make sure I KNOW for sure when she is due. And then I just wait until day 28 to give her a box.

Ditto. I have several does now that start haystaching 1-2 weeks before they are scheduled to get their nest boxes. I tried giving them a box early, but they always mess it up. I have learned to just look at them and giggle. They get their nest boxes on day 28.

Well she has a nest box hooked to her cage and always has. Her last litter she wasn't pulling no fur what so ever this early. She pulled it right before she gave birth which was on day 31. I can post a pic of her nest. I gave her lots of hay once I noticed her pulling fur but all she does is eats it. Hasn't took no hay what so ever in to her box. Maybe because their was already hay in the box before she started pulling fur but I don't know. Just a little cought off guard I guess.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm __________<br /><br />Here is her nest.

Attachments

• nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 241
  • nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 241
Thanks for this post from a year ago. My doe who isn't due for another 13 days has started to build a nest and pulled oodles of fur. I was alarmed to see what she was doing until I read the original post and all the helpful comments that followed. I am 99.9% sure there was no hanky panky other than what I witnessed so I will just scoop up the fur and give it back in 10 days. Thanks everyone who contributed to this post. :D

Back