Do your does "look" pregnant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one deliver today , the one that looked pregnant. Had a litter of 11 , one stillborn that was huge , likely died from a lack of oxygen as she couldn't get it out fast enough it was so large. Almost double the size of all the others who are all uniform in size. Appears to be 7 chocolates 3 lilacs . Might be a black in there but its hard to tell with so little fur.

Still waiting on the other one , maybe she has them the next couple days , maybe not.

I'm thrilled , first litter since January ....

My lil Bitz delevered her first litter Saturday morning..six as far as I know it's been to windy here to pull them out..just quick tummy checks. all chinchilla. :D :D :D :D
My black flemish chin cross is due today but she is holding out...Hope to see a nest full in the morning. Doing happy dance now :bananadance: :bananadance2: :bananadance: :bananadance2:

Monday morning....Yea!! looks like 6 for Angle will count later when its warmer...
Woops...8 for Lil Bitz....nice first litter!

Only my checkered giants showed. Since they are a full arch breed the belly sits off the ground more and normally tight. There isn't a whole lot there to hide kits unlike thicker, more compact breeds. They'd have obvious milk hanging down after birth too. I've seen slightly the same in my netherlands occasionally. Usually it's hard to see the pregnancy without knowing the rabbit well because they slowly fill out all even but after birth they'll have hanging bellies sometimes. I could never tell on any of my other large breeds or mini rex.

Second doe (didn't look pregnant) kindled last night sometime , didn't have time to do anything but take a quick peek , details later this afternoon , appears to be a small litter.

katiebear":2um7pyl3 said:
My lil Bitz delevered her first litter Saturday morning..six as far as I know it's been to windy here to pull them out..just quick tummy checks. all chinchilla. :D :D :D :D
My black flemish chin cross is due today but she is holding out...Hope to see a nest full in the morning. Doing happy dance now :bananadance: :bananadance2: :bananadance: :bananadance2:

Monday morning....Yea!! looks like 6 for Angle will count later when its warmer...

Congratulations!! So exciting! :clap2: Pictures please!

Well my instincts were correct. Second bunny was pregnant. She had two perfectly marked black broken bunnies yesterday morning. BUT this morning they were dead. :cry: What is the soonest I can re breed her?

I must say, my first time does look pretty rotund!

resized_zps3cbc6533.jpg

Here is my NZ doe Cardamom.

Of course, she was also balled up because it was 19 degrees this morning. And she was clearly unimpressed by her nest box. She's due on Saturday.

Sagebrush-Well I am new to this. I really have no idea what happened. She was in a barn that was 44 degrees, had a good nest built, they were tucked in the straw and a bit of hair. I think she had them Monday morning-reason I say this is up until then she was sitting in the nest box and she wasn't Monday morning, Monday evening I did some snooping and found the two of them toasty warm and wiggly. I did not pick them up just slightly moved straw etc around to look and touched them with my finger to see if they were alive. Then Tuesday AM they were dead. They had just died as they were still limber but very cold. After reading on here I did try to warm them but nothing. Also by pics posted on here I did notice that their bellies were not full. I contacted the person I got her from and she said she always fed her kits. So I have no idea...just bummed! I am a farm girl who knows there are many ups and downs that come with life on the farm. So I will hang in there and try again.

I have found this website to be an extremely helpful resource. Thanks for all your help all that have responded to my post.

If she was using the nest box like a couch she could have suffocated the little guys, or she could have used it like a litter box and they got chilled and died from being peed on. :( Either way I am so sorry you lost the litter. Good luck with the next one.

Sagebrush":1onluwk0 said:
If she was using the nest box like a couch she could have suffocated the little guys, or she could have used it like a litter box and they got chilled and died from being peed on. :( Either way I am so sorry you lost the litter. Good luck with the next one.

Yeah , this is a problem especially if the nest box is too large .... I lost 9 of 11 out of my very first litter because of the doe using the nest box as a couch and suffocating them. I went to a smaller nest box the next litter with that doe and she didn't lounge in it.

I have a couple 5 month old does that are chubby and could almost pass for pregnant.
Charlie (doe) loses and gains weight so much it's ridiculous, last week when the cold snap hit I thought I was gonna lose her, she got so skinny. When it was warm I had cut back on her feed to try to knock some of the weight off her, then the cold snap hit and she just seemed to lose weight overnight.
I had her in the building and was giving her full feed and some of my precious dried clover I was saving for a treat throughout the winter. Now she is chubby and I'm keeping her on full feed, I would hate to lose her.
Shamrock is chubby in that overfed type of way, but it's cold so I'm not to worried, we'll get her on a feeding schedule when it warms back up and we decide to get her in condition to breed her and Charlie.

Back