Do you talk to your rabbits ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course! Mine are pets. Some ours, others waiting for adoption. A pet is a friend. They talk with their body language and chirps ect. I know they mostly likely don't understand the actual words, but they get the sentiment. I talk to my birds and dogs as well.The birds may be good imitators, but the clearer communication clearly lays with the dogs. The rabbits are probably somewhere in between.

I got in trouble by a cat lover for saying rabbits are probably as smart as cats. A cat's independent nature does make it a little hard to judge but rabbits generally aren't given a fair chance either. I'm not saying it's wrong to cage raise a rabbit but how much intelligence can they display in a single level wire cage with only food and maybe a chewy toy? The people we got champagnes from was selling out to work with flemish because they sold so well as pets there. He said one he sold and was kept mostly loose as a house rabbit had learned when it's owner came home to untie his shoes for him. The complicated interactions of our colonies was rather interesting.

I've had rabbits that come when called. Once one escaped by chewing through the roof of his hutch. My co-worker, who lived several houses away called and asked if I had a rabbit because she knew I had 'animals'. There was one on her lawn that wouldn't let her catch it but it was obviously not wild. I went to fetch him and from half a block away I saw her and my buck on her lawn. She heard me ask him what he was doing out and call him softly. The next thing she knew he practically flew all the way to me and let me scoop him up. It's all she talked about at work the next day.

I got in trouble by a cat lover for saying rabbits are probably as smart as cats. A cat's independent nature does make it a little hard to judge but rabbits generally aren't given a fair chance either. I'm not saying it's wrong to cage raise a rabbit but how much intelligence can they display in a single level wire cage with only food and maybe a chewy toy? The people we got champagnes from was selling out to work with flemish because they sold so well as pets there. He said one he sold and was kept mostly loose as a house rabbit had learned when it's owner came home to untie his shoes for him. The complicated interactions of our colonies was rather interesting.
I have come to suppose, it is humans who are too unintelligent/ un-observant to understand animals, and not ,-animals are too stupid to understand people. -all my animals seem to understand me just fine, it is me that has a hard time understanding them. I talk to the animals like I would a child, using the same words all the time for what it is I am trying to communicate, and not getting all wordy and long winded in my talk, -- in short order they all learn what it is I am saying, -- I , however, have to watch them and try to pay attention to them for weeks, or months, before I can understand what they are saying. I once had a lot of chickens and sold eggs, -- I was able to understand in time what they were saying to me, and sometimes to each other. I had a group of S. American people come by one time to "see" the animals, [chickens, milk cow, calf, rabbits, fish , etc.] the group had an out spoken male among them, who was going on and on about how stupid animals were, - He was telling the "group" that chickens were so stupid that you could make them think it was daytime by turning on a light, and the stupid creatures would start to lay more eggs. I got tired of his attitude, and self importance, and said to the group ,that I thought it was humans and their arrogance, and lack of intellegence that made them suppose that the human lack of understanding, was the fault of the animals, and that animals had their own language but most humans were too "stupid" to realize it, or understand it. He said that was "impossible" and that I could not prove it, so I started to tell them "basicaly" what each one of the chickens was saying when they come over to see us, -- one of them came over and started some animated "talk" with us-and then went back over to her "favorite "feeder, and continued her "talk" and I told them she was saying her hanging feeder where she was at ,was empty, --so he ran into the chicken coop to check-- and sure enough that one was-- he had very little to say after that.
What I wonder-- is ---why it took me years of watching chickens to figgure out what they were saying, when it usually takes them only weeks , or days, to understand me. --The same goes for the other animals I work with.-- I know "body language" is important in human communication, but why do I have such a hard time seeing it as a part of animals "talking"???

I do :) I also play music when I'm in the Rabbitry. They seem to enjoy it

If they aren't facing me, I kiss at them and tap the floor near them. Usually they aren't very startled that way and they turn around to face me.

I always start speaking to my rabbits as I approach the BunnyBarn so they don't startle and play blender-bunnies in their cages.

I also talk to them when I feed or handle them. But I talk to all of my animals and plants and even seeds I am sowing. :oops:

When I had Jack ,my indoor pet rabbit, we taught each other a lot. He knew the time I got up and the time I went to bed. He would lick me to get up for breakfast in the mornings and when my mom fell and broke her ankle, he alerted me by pacing loudly in his cage. He used to jump on my labtop while I was writing papers to take a break and scratch his head. One time he reached over and bit my nose because I hadn't given him his breakfast. I was so mad but I understood why he was cranky. Lol We used to romp on the floor together. My BF and I were driving the other day and I was thinking of him :) he admitted we were like peas and carrots. From that, I can read my herd well and I know when something is off. When I work with horses or tried to teach others certain techniques, usually the person on the other end couldn't read the horse'a body language and they would get a completely different reaction (walking all over them,lack of attention,etc.) from the horse they were working with. I think with animals, you need to be able to slow down and "listen". Body language is very important!

My rabbits do know when it's me when I go out to feed or work with them. I usually say "Good morning babies!" In a baby voice in the morning and the Rabbitry erupts with rabbits bouncing around on their cage :)

I hated giving riding lessons to people because they did not care to truly learn how the horse was interacting. They just wanted to have fun messing around on a horse without learning anything except how not to fall off. My mom kept insisting I needed a job though and kept bringing over people who wanted lessons or later when slaughter got banned people who had no knowledge of horses and got one dirt cheap that they wanted trained. They'd just mess up the training later because they didn't want to understand how to do those things themselves. Reason I switched from the equestrian program to computers after taking all the useful vet classes for my own purposes. If someone messes up with a computer all that dies is the computer.

I do talk to mine. Hello Lunch! Hello Dinner! Hellowwww Midday Snack!

And then I have the breeders that I keep. "Get pregnant you stubborn rabbit!"

My mini lop rabbits live in the house with me in enclosures, so they are my companion household pets.

I usually only talk to them by the sentence, not too long.

I'll often say "hello honeybunny girl" :love:

or "hello honeybunny boy" :love:

I find they respond to voice tone, facial expression & body language!

akane":2swd0c7q said:

And if they find a way out, they'll never forget it. Even if you haven't figured out how they did it yet. lol
One of our Does who happens to look just like this one... :bunnyhop: seems to be stealth, when out back door is open. (She has fee range out back and never sneaks out.) You wont see her come in, and since she doesn't do it every time, so your not watching out for her either. You'll just go about your business until you suddenly see her somewhere in the house. lol He favorite place is in my daughter's room that she used to live in. Still thinks she owns that room. :)

Went out tonight to feed the buns a bit early. Found myself talking with them even the ones that want food no petting. The ones that like to be petted and scratched and scrunched I always talk to. Never realized till tonight that I talk to all the buns as i care for them.

Sure I do, have to say something before moving the plastic curtain to enter the rabbit area or I have 2 or 3 that spook and hit the roof of their cages, besides it's cute the way they all cock ears and seem to listen to me while I chatter away and tend to them. Some of them will come to the cage door for a pet, other won't. I can go vent to them and they will never tell on me LOL.

Back