Do you sterilize foraged greens?

Help Support RabbitTalk:

ThunderHill

Reaction score
Hi! I'd like to start providing fresh weeds and foraged greens to our rabbits, but we have a lot of wild rabbits and moles/voles on our property and I worry about any diseases, parasites, etc. that might be on these greens from the wild rabbits and rodents. Does anyone have advice on if this is a valid concern, and if so, what I could use to sterilize the greens? I've read that vinegar water (1 part vinegar to 2-3 parts water) can be used to clean vegetables from the garden - would this also work for foraged greens? Thanks so much!

eco2pia

Reaction score
I think that the concern is a possibility, but fairly unlikely. A good rinse should work well enough. We eat produce grown out of doors, and our food is not generally a vector for parasites--we wash it. While we also do not eat produce grown in sewers, we would be succeptable to many of the same parasites that animals can carry. Consider that occaisionally produce is contaminated with E. coli, and that washing is generally accepted as a way to prevent infection--yes, cooking is better, but a good thorough wash is usually enough.

ThunderHill

Reaction score
I think that the concern is a possibility, but fairly unlikely. A good rinse should work well enough. We eat produce grown out of doors, and our food is not generally a vector for parasites--we wash it. While we also do not eat produce grown in sewers, we would be succeptable to many of the same parasites that animals can carry. Consider that occaisionally produce is contaminated with E. coli, and that washing is generally accepted as a way to prevent infection--yes, cooking is better, but a good thorough wash is usually enough.
That makes sense. Thanks for the input!