DIY tin can feeder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad was about to make a feeder from wood, but then I told him about this. lol

If I may?
I have an idea that may work with your feeder can.
If you were to drill two holes through the can goping completely through
you might be able to run a piece of wire through and attach the can on the outside
with the feed trough going through the wire the same as the store bought [J] feeders.
Just an idea I thought I'd toss out. When I get some larger cans I plan to give it a try.
I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for a GREAT idea!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yes, you can use it like a J-feeder. We don't because these are pasture pens and feeders on the outside will get wet, wasting food.

ollitos":1t9rwnrw said:
Yes, you can use it like a J-feeder. We don't because these are pasture pens and feeders on the outside will get wet, wasting food.

If the cans have plastic lids like coffee cans do you could cut it in half and use the lid to keep the feed dry.

Possibly, but we've found that even the J feeders with lids still result in wet food when there's a bad storm. Misty rain is just as bad as a windy storm. Since we've been placing the feeders inside the pens like this, we hardly ever had wet food. The feeders hanging on the exterior perimeter always get wet.

Also, cutting the wire would weaken it and I want to keep our pasture pens as predator proof as possible. We do have some feeders that hang on the inside of the wire on the perimeter of the pen. They're a pain as they always get wet. This has worked really well for our pasture pens.

I eventually want to switch us over to feeding grains. To help reduce digging through for treats and waste, I need to have a feeder for the various types of grains. I will probably have to install a wooden bar on the divider wire wall and screw the feeders into that. Reducing waste is a huge deal for us. With the numbers of rabbits we want to run, food waste will add up quickly. Not to mention that we now have a bazillion sunflower plants trying to grow all over the front yard! lol

Sharon, those make EXCELLENT rabbit forage LOL Mine would start bouncing around the pens and cages when they saw me coming with a stalk :bouncy:

I was actually kind of excited about the sunflowers but since they're in the yard, they keep getting mowed down. We're moving everyone to the pasture so I think this summer we're going to have some gorgeous pastures filled with sunflowers :)<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am __________<br /><br />I posted a pictorial tutorial on how to make these

http://skyviewacres.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... -step.html

I did that with coffee cans alot when I was a youth breeder. Made ends meet in some pretty lean times when just buying the next bags of feed took every thin dime I could scrape up. It's not a long-term fix as the cans will rust rather rapidly when exposed to the elements, but it works very well for limited budgets.

Latest posts

Back