DIY tin can feeder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
We saw this somewhere online and Greg made one up pretty quickly yesterday afternoon. We used one of those huge metal coffee tins. All of the edges are crimped over so there aren't any sharp edges. Holds a lot of feed! Since we free-feed, that means less work for us.

mms_picture_2-2.jpg

mms_picture_1-4.jpg

Looks as though you could cut a hole in your wire and use it just like a J feeder if you wanted to. Great idea. Those feeders are expensive.

AnnClaire":1p2invie said:
Awesome Idea! Thanks for posting ... IMHO, worthy of a sticky! :D

Seconded! These are great :p
What size cans are you using? On second look it doesn't matter, fit the can size to rabbit size or pen size.

Whipple":23ysr11v said:
Dude! I need to drink more coffee.
lol - me too. I have a problem, I normally use coffee beans, then grind my own. Will have to break down and find a food item, that comes in tins!

I got these from a caterer friend who uses the huge cans. Check with local restaurants and ask for theirs. But yes, you can use any size. Really depends on how often you fill your feeders and your needs. For us, the larger the better.

Whipple":bt1c6cvy said:
Dude! I need to drink more coffee.

I was thinking the same thing. All of the coffee I buy comes in the plastic tubs, not metal cans (folgers) or the cans are plastic wrapped in foil. Maybe I'll pick up some canned veggies (yuck).

Restaurants are the best source for these cans. Even things like kidney beans come in this size can.

At the expense of showing my ignorance, what did you use to crimp over the sides? Thanks

I need how to pictures. What do you cut the can with? Is the front of the can cut off then crimped back on? I will be needing feeders soon and this is a great idea.

Greg used tin snips to cut.

He cut a rectangle out of the front, then crimped back all the edges on the can. Then he crimped the edges on the piece he cut off. He drilled holes in the bottom, then screwed the extra piece to the sides of the can. I'll take pics the next time he makes one.

Latest posts

Back