DIY Hay Feeder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredfeather

Reaction score
I am needing to make some hay feeders for my grow-outs. I found some ideas online, but was wondering if anyone here had any good ideas or pics they could share.

Thanks.

I'd love to see some too, I'm finding myself with alfalfa/grass hay round bales for horses and bunnies to share and would prefer the rabbits not waste most of their share.

I am going to be making some new cages soon. I plan on having a built in feeder between every two cages by using two wire walls each angled into a cage so a flake of hay can be put between them. With fallout hay I guess a trough could be put under.

I don't have a picture but I cut a fat T shape out of two by four welded wire, bend the ends in to make an open top and back box and j clip it to the inside of the cage so the open top is about four inches from the roof of the cage.

BUCKS tend to waste the hay packed into the rack, scratching it out and playing with it but does and kits just eat it.

If you garden just put the manured wasted hay into your vegetables as mulch and fertilizer.

Buying someone else's hay is the same as buying their lands fertility for your own. :cool:

I've had a lot of hay wastage falling through the cage floor. What I just started doing is feeding less hay. Day by day a bit more. Now I am down a significant amount. The rabbits eat it fairly quickly before any falls through the cage floor.

Now I will slowly start to add more hay until I reach a point I am happy with between little wastage while still giving the rabbits a fair bit of hay in their diet.

I took some scrap 1"x 1" wire and bent it in a half circle and stuck the wire through the cage wire and bent it back around it around the cage wire in my grow out pens. Then I feed only what the buns will clean up in 24 hrs.

Back