Disappointed in myself, need some encouragement/insight!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first rabbit I did, I tried broomsticking him (took three tries) and then had a friend for support for the butchering. She fed me Manhattans all evening. :D

I've gotten better; it's far easier now, and faster - but definitely be forgiving of your mistakes, because a) they're inevitable, b) they've been made before, so you'll have support, and c) mistakes are how we learn best.

I don't broomstick anymore; I use a rabbit wringer, or noose. I have an Opinel pocket knife that I use for most of the butchering; it's carbon steel, so you have to resharpen it often, but it's *sharp.*

Sagebrush":1v1hgwvw said:
I am having trouble getting sharp enough blades. Would you be willing to tell me what brand, or what have you, of utility knife you use?

I just buy Stanley or Kobalt blades at HomeDepot --I keep a piece of 400 grit sand papper on a board to "touch up dull blades, works great for me...

I use Mora knives. I've tried others, but none are as good. They don't look like much out of the box, but you can shave with them, they're so sharp! My dad gave me his old Buck skinning knife that he used to skin beavers with when I was a kid. It didn't hold a candle to my $10.00 Mora.

I suggest stainless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORA-OF-SWEDEN- ... 4613aac1ab

www.tinyhomesteaders.com

I love my "very old" Buck skinning knife, but it does not hold an edge quite as well ,[compared to some other name brands], and is more difficult to sharpen, but for large animals it is wonderful. I guess I am cheep, and lazy, because I like to use the utility knife, touch up the blades a few times -then toss the blade, as soon as the tip starts to round off. A 1 inch wide x 6 inch long, fine flat file also works well, to sharpen a blade with a single pass, and-- you don't have to buy waterproof sand paper, dry the blade before sharpening, or remove the blade from the utility knife. Just one light stroke on each side, and you are back to work. [buy a good file, like Oregon,not a dollar store brand]

Latest posts

Back