Difference in cooking wild vs. domestic rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyTree

Reaction score
I find most recipes only differentiate between them based only on size, with the wild rabbits being far smaller than adult domestics. But others say the taste and consistency of the meat is entirely different. Still others say there is some nutritional difference.

Can anyone speak to this with authority? I've never cooked with or had wild rabbit...

Here is the thing most wild game is killed when it is running which makes the meat tougher. Also it has what we call a game taste not really sure how to explain it but it taste different. If you were raised like I was eating wild hogs, deer, squirrel and rabbits you will know what I am talking about.

I am not sure but I think it is because of the stuff they eat in the wild

I've cooked and eaten both. They are really not much alike. Wild North American rabbit (cottontail) is a fairly dark meat and depending on the season and what the rabbit has been eating, it can be very nice or a bit strong. It is good in stews, rabbit pie and so forth and is enhanced by a garnish like tart red currant preserve. It is a very enjoyable game meat... but it is game.

Domestic rabbit is all white meat with fine, rather dense texture. Like wild rabbit it is very lean, but the flavour is quite different. People compare it to chicken, but to my mind it is closer to the white meat of turkey. Young domestic rabbits can be fried or cooked in any other way that you would use chicken. Older rabbits are best cooked more slowly and with some moisture. Apple juice is an excellent liquid to use. Herbs go well with rabbit meat too: sage, savory, thyme and rosemary are all good. I like red currant preserves with domestic rabbit too, especially with rabbit pie... My recipe can be found in this thread, and could be used with either wild or domestic rabbit.
i-m-making-a-rabbit-pie-t3094.html

Most of the recipes in this forum are intended for domestic rabbit, but with a bit of tweaking you could adapt them for wild rabbit as well.

I've given up on wild rabbit. There is not a lot of meat on them, and the skinning is quite a bit more difficult. More trouble than it's worth to me. While the skin of all domestic rabbits I've processed can be pulled off like a sweater, wild rabbit skin is very thin and rips as you are pulling it, leaving pieces on the carcass. There may be domestic rabbit breeds that do this, but I've never skinned one. I guess if I weren't raising rabbits, I'd be happy to get it, but with a backyard full, it's just not worth it to me. Luckily, I haven't had a problem that forced my hand to get rid of some wild rabbit such as eating my garden. I would probably still call someone else to come get them, though.
Sorry if I was too negative. Just my opinion.

As an aside. My grandfather was a great cook, and always cooked the wild game. I learned a few of his recipes before he passed, and my favorite was hasenpfeffer. Since it originated in Germany, it must have been developed using the same meat as our domestic rabbits. My granddad, who was a very German guy however, always made it with wild rabbit (Eastern cottontail). It was terrific. The effect of the marinade is perfect for the gaminess of wild rabbit, and eliminates any stringiness even in an old one.

I never had hasenpfeffer made with domestic rabbit until I made it myself. To be honest, I was disappointed. The marinade ends up making domestic rabbit sort of pasty..giving it a texture sort of like liver, although not to that extent. To any of you out there that are blessed to have a supply of cottontails, try it, it is simply delicious.

It goes especially well served with (new) small red potatoes, fresh toast croutons and noodles (spatzle if you are lucky enough to have some)

To me, the biggest difference is that I won't have to spit out shot with a domestic breed. ;)

Avdpas77, perhaps you could post the recipe or a link to it so we can try it.

Back