Deadly virus?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
I met a man who is a butcher. He said a woman brought rabbits to him for processing but they got loose. The problem is that they had some type of lethal kidney (maybe kidney?) virus. It was contagious through the urine. They pee, another rabbit sniffs it, contracts the virus and dies within 3 or 4 days.

He couldn't remember what it was called.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I was curious about it. I've not heard of anything like that.

:yeahthat:

An excerpt from the page Dood linked:

RHD primarily infects only adult rabbits. In fact, research has shown[citation needed] that rabbits younger than 8 weeks of age are resistant to the virus. The incubation period for the RHD virus is between 1 to 3 days, with death following 1 to 2 days after the infection. There is a wide range of RHD symptoms. Most rabbits will show no signs of external symptoms of RHD.

Symptomatic cases of RHD will display fever, squeals, and often coma leading to death within 12 to 36 hours. In less severe cases, rabbits may display uneasiness, excitement, anorexia, swollen eyelids, paralysis, ocular haemorrhages, and paddling. Convulsions may be seen as well. A fatal bloody discharge from the nose has been exhibited along with blood-stained cage floors, though these symptoms may have occurred after death. Rabbits who have recovered from the less severe symptoms usually develop severe jaundice with weight loss and lethargy. Diarrhoea, constipation and abdominal cramping are then exhibited right before death a few weeks later.

RHD causes rapid development of blood clot formation in major organs such as the heart, lungs and kidneys. The clots block blood vessels causing heart and respiratory failure. An infected rabbit that has died from RHD will often have its legs straight out and head over its neck as if trying to catch its breath.[citation needed]

In 1991 the virus that caused RHD was imported to Australia under strict quarantine conditions to research the safety and usefulness of the virus if it was used as a biological control agent against Australia and New Zealand's rabbit pest problem. Testing of the virus was undertaken on Wardang Island in Spencer Gulf off the coast of the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1995 the virus escaped quarantine and subsequently killed 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release.[citation neede

He has a bunch of rabbits he lets run loose all over his property. A woman brought some rabbits to his butcher shop to process and they got loose. He caught one and she said he could keep it. He took it to his house and all his rabbits started to die.

:shock:

How awful. I sure hope that never shows up in any of our rabbitries. :eek:

ollitos":1igbwr37 said:
He took it to his house and all his rabbits started to die.

Oh, no. Poor man. :(

I haven't read the study- I hope there is a way to disinfect the property.

ollitos":1761s1vv said:
He has a bunch of rabbits he lets run loose all over his property. A woman brought some rabbits to his butcher shop to process and they got loose. He caught one and she said he could keep it. He took it to his house and all his rabbits started to die.
YIKES!

No bueno. VHD spreads like wildfire.

ollitos":2xy53qgi said:

The question is, where did she get her rabbits? And, most importantly, has he contacted the CDC? VHD is a reportable issue.

The article said "Climate appears to play a crucial role in the transmission of RHD.[citation needed] In normal conditions, most outbreaks of RHD occur in winter or spring. High temperatures in late spring and summer will considerably reduce the spread of the virus. RHD will also be more prevalent in dry and semi-dry areas than in areas that are relatively cool and humid."

So hopefully the combination of hot weather, humidity, and the rather fast demise of infected rabbits will hamper its spread. What a nightmare though! This sounds like a really dangerous illness to let loose.

Back