Dandelion- More Nutritious than Some Vegetables

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyFarms

Reaction score
Our family actually harvests dandelions to eat ourselves! There is even a store that sells the greens and they're HUGE. We love it. Glad to hear they're very nutritious, too! We love growing them here. My neighbours, on the other hand, are less than thrilled by my love for them. We take all the dandelions from our neighbours who use the mechanical tool to remove them by the root. They go straight to the buns, who also love them! I'm a big dandelion fan, if you couldn't tell 😂

They work as pumps, bringing nutrients like calcium and potassium from deep down to a depleted surface. Those roots can grow several meters, hence draught resistance and reaching nutrients normal grass cant.

Once the soil deficies are settled they are not a ground cover anymore and give way to grasses and such.

All good stuff, guys! So glad there are amazing plants like this that are actually common all over the place, and that they are used by people that are aware of it. :) Happy to learn more about these plants- thanks for posting how you use them and more info you know about them, too.

"Data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture reveal how dandelions probably helped alleviate many ailments: They have more vitamin A than spinach, more vitamin C than tomatoes, and are a powerhouse of iron, calcium and potassium." -Anita Sanchez, (article on the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association website)

https://www.mofga.org/resources/weeds/ten-things-you-might-not-know-about-dandelions/
And legend has it, they also cure the corvid... therefore the FDA is considering banning them. (Well not really; they don't know yet, so 🤫 .)

Furthermore....I think they are the perfect ground cover, rather than turf grass. They are glorious when they flower, they only need to be mowed twice a year (in the spring, to remove the seed heads), and they are almost impervious to drought.

I know, this is not a popular opinion.
The euro settlers brought the Dandelion to North America for food and medicine, all of it is good for you and the rabbit.
the root makes a tea that is very good for your liver. In my opinion

The euro settlers brought the Dandelion to North America for food and medicine, all of it is good for you and the rabbit.
the root makes a tea that is very good for your liver. In my opinion
As a European I'm very proud of our contribution of the dandelion. It was probably by accident because we don't usually do anything positive on purpose.

Except rabbits, we have come up with some damn fine rabbits. That's why I keep Californians 😊

All I really care about dandelions is that rabbits love them. But they are so funny.

Over the years I've had bunnies insist the only edible part was the flower, others that will devour ONLY the leaves and stalks but not the flowers, and others that will eat the entire plant... root and all.

No rhyme or reason to it, just bunnies being bunnies....

They work as pumps, bringing nutrients like calcium and potassium from deep down to a depleted surface. Those roots can grow several meters, hence draught resistance and reaching nutrients normal grass cant.

Once the soil deficies are settled they are not a ground cover anymore and give way to grasses and such.
You are correct, I think of deep rooted plants and Trees as “Miners”, bringing nutrients to the surface, there are no weeds on my land , all are of a benefit, God made our world perfect, it is the unlearned that doesn’t understand how it works. Just as the rabbit and the earth worm were made for each other. And yes the herbs of the field were made for us as well. Our land is our medicine chest.

Back