Crazy...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galadriel

Reaction score
Ok, down here...

...the schools are closed...

...the interstate is shut down...

...a whole chunk of town is nearly inaccessible...

...and all because of...

...a tiny layer of...

...ICE!

The drivers here are crazy enough, but nobody down here can drive on ice!!! :shock: :lol:

People are nuts... :?

just gotta shake your head.

BUT if no one can drive on ice... and they close things down, then at least you know that no one is dying of carelessness either. :)

Galadriel":20w4srg4 said:
...the schools are closed...

Whoo-hoo! Being homeschooled, did you and Bunny-Wan petition your mom for a "snow (ice) day"? :p

...the interstate is shut down...

Probably a good thing! Driving on ice is scary. :x

...without ice skates, anyway! :lol:

MamaSheepdog":mkyio2zm said:
Whoo-hoo! Being homeschooled, did you and Bunny-Wan petition your mom for a "snow (ice) day"? :p
:lol: We didn't get out of school, but we did get some ice fun this morning!
I don't drive yet, so I wouldn't know! :oops: :D
Galadriel":mkyio2zm said:

...without ice skates, anyway! :lol:
Really!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MamaSheepdog":wgn5v0i9 said:

Driving on ice is fun...as long as there aren't any cars, ditches or any other objects around which you could hit.

I had heard they shut everything down over there, I wonder what that does for business'. Is the weather looking to warm up there anytime soon? They say it's supposed to get to 41 or so by Sunday. That's up from -15 yesterday. Noooo, no waaaaay anyone is getting sick from this weather.... :?

mystang89":3clfq402 said:
Driving on ice is fun...as long as there aren't any cars, ditches or any other objects around which you could hit.
:lol:

Galadriel":3clfq402 said:
I don't drive yet, so I wouldn't know! :oops: :D
I gave her the book, and told her to work through it, and I'd teach her. I haven't gotten the book back yet, and I can't say I'm anxious to... :mrgreen:

Galadriel":3clfq402 said:
:lol: We didn't get out of school, but we did get some ice fun this morning!
No, they didn't get out of school, but I gave them only math. After all, we were up playing in the snow in the middle of the night, and then they got to play in sleet and freezing rain this morning... hey, they don't get much frozen precipitation. Carpe nivea, or whatever. :p

mystang89":2yumwd3k said:
MamaSheepdog":2yumwd3k said:

You don't like bumper cars?! :p
mystang89":2yumwd3k said:
I had heard they shut everything down over there, I wonder what that does for business'. Is the weather looking to warm up there anytime soon? They say it's supposed to get to 41 or so by Sunday. That's up from -15 yesterday. Noooo, no waaaaay anyone is getting sick from this weather.... :?
The weather channel is trying to sell me 60 degrees tomorrow, but I'm not buying! Not after not hitting above freezing like they said we would! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Driving on ice is interesting but it gets old fairly quickly, I wouldn't mind not having to deal with it for a while.
Going in to work yesterday I passed three pick up trucks in the ditch at the same intersection. We had frost coming out of the roads from the weirdly warm weather

I'm guessing they closed the interstates because there are such infrequent issues with ice and snow, they probably don't keep salt spreaders and such.

Galadriel":3aodcton said:
The weather channel is trying to sell me 60 degrees tomorrow, but I'm not buying! Not after not hitting above freezing like they said we would! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is a bit difficult to believe, isn't it? They said it would be 40* today... it never got over 28*. The freezing rain was going to stop by 9am. No, 1pm. 3pm? Okay, maybe 5pm, then? :lol:

They've revised expectations for tomorrow down from 60 to 55*. Yeah... we'll see. :?

We keep going back and forth from 30 to 50F then back to 0 to -20 F from day to day. 2 days ago it was 44F, the next day was -4F, and today was 25F. Problem is the drifts and plowed piles of snow melt and then refreeze. Stupid dogs sprained both my ankles and my wrist by going from heeling nicely to lunging for the patch of clear grass. We were walking over uneven, slanted ice between a drift and the building at the time. *splat* I tried to flip on my back which is when I think I hurt my wrist but it was too late. My ankle folded underneath my body at a weird angle. Not sure why the other ankle acted up a day later but I shattered it back my first year of college and it does weird things when stressed.

Miss M":o3haqx3r said:
No, they didn't get out of school, but I gave them only math. After all, we were up playing in the snow in the middle of the night, and then they got to play in sleet and freezing rain this morning... hey, they don't get much frozen precipitation. Carpe nivea, or whatever. :p

You actually Got some SN*W ? !!!

( Finally after all these years of trying to send it to You ... :lol: )

Galadriel, I hate to break it to you, but...

no one can drive well in Louisiana, no matter the weather! At least in the area surrounding New Orleans.

Red lights mean "speed up and blast through"
Yellow lights mean "what yellow light?"
Stop signs mean "no stopping allowed, they just forgot to add the diagonal line thru the sign"

Random Rabbit":y0p7okda said:
Miss M":y0p7okda said:

You actually Got some SN*W ? !!!

( Finally after all these years of trying to send it to You ... :lol: )
YES!!! We've been promising them for years that if it snowed, we'd make sure they got outside to play in it... no matter what time it was, even in the middle of the night. So 1:00am, it was snowing, and there was already some accumulation on the vehicles. We woke the kids up, got them bundled up, and got them outside. It was supposed to be 40* the next day (yesterday), so we had to take advantage of it while it was there. My beloved Shay went back to bed, having a long day of work ahead.

After a good while of carefully harvesting snow from the vehicles (so they didn't waste much) and throwing snowballs at each other (and occasionally me), we came in to cocoa my mom had made. After warming up, the kids decided they were ready for more... besides, the snow was still coming down quite well. So back out we went!

We came in for good around 2:30am, and went back to bed.

The next morning, we still had flurries. Sometime mid-morning, it changed to sleet, then to freezing rain as it warmed to 28*. That's as warm as it got. In the city Shay had to pass through, it had long since been freezing rain, and the interstate was closed. He wasn't going to make it through the city, so he went to the office instead. It took him two hours to get back home, a distance of 40 miles.

Meanwhile, the kids had been playing with sleet and freezing rain, watching grass and leaves -- and the van -- be coated with pebbly ice. Finally, the van was frozen shut. Galadriel realized at some point that the freezing rain was even freezing her hair. :lol:

Marinea":y0p7okda said:

no one can drive well in Louisiana, no matter the weather! At least in the area surrounding New Orleans.

Stop signs mean "no stopping allowed, they just forgot to add the diagonal line thru the sign"
Yes, and Katrina spread the madness to areas beyond, too! :?

Marinea":jzly4oft said:

I can't drive yet, and even I can notice terrible drivers! :lol: :lol: :lol: Leapfroggers on the interstate (you can often find them on the side of the road at the next speed trap!), creeps who ride our bumper close enough to see my hairband through the back window when the opposite lane is plenty empty for passing, and the nut who thinks he's above the turn lane rules and cuts ahead of/across you on a really busy street, and, of course, the guy who learned streetlights like you said! Oh, yeah, we got our share of New Orleans! :shock: :lol:

:lol: Yeah, those aren't even legal here. You can have rubber studs, but not metal. I guess our roads just aren't made to handle them... they're designed to handle other conditions.

We're set to have it all happen again, but this time in the daytime -- and maybe more of it! Supposed to start pretty soon with freezing rain, and then change to snow. This could be the big snow the kids have been dreaming of. (By "big", I mean maybe 3 - 4 inches :roll: )

I think the biggest obstacle will be the fact that it was warm today. It was in the 50s very early, and made it up to 60*. It is now down to about 35*, but I wonder if it'll be enough for anything to stick around for any length of time. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 am __________ <br /><br /> Thankfully, my husband has off tomorrow. He was supposed to be driving across the state in the worst of it. They decided to give everybody the day off, instead.

Latest posts

Back