Crabapples???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
My dad has a crabapple tree, we love the blossoms but the actual crabapples are a pain in the butt. I darn near fell to my death today on 'em...like stepping on a floor covered in marbles.

ANYWAYS...there's an awful LOT of the darned things, and I was just wondering...can rabbits eat them? I'm feeling more and more inclined to supplement their diet with "kitchen garbage" and weeds, I swear my rabbits have better fur when their diet has some "trash" in it, LOL. But in case they're poisinous or something I figured I'd ask first!!!

good question. I know they have a lot more pectin in them then other apples. don't know if that could be harmful though. hope someone can answer though. very interesting. :)

Crab apples are fine for them to eat but as only a treat or small amount. Leaves and branches are fine for them too!

A quick google search says that crab apples are fine, but some won't like them, and some will. I've never done it though

Branches too??? SWEET!!! That tree is getting really overgrown and my dad was just saying that we need to cut it back, the branches are trailing onto the roof. I'll save the clippings for the buns. :) Tomorrow I'll find the healthiest looking crabapples and offer a bit of one to each bun, we'll see who likes and who doesn't!!! :)

Thanks guys! :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 pm __________<br /><br />Gave one to each doe that got palpated today...plus one for Miss Preggo, Nellie. :) Nellie liked hers, Classy nibbled when she thought I wasn't looking, Breezy is playing with hers like it's a toy, and Liz...Liz apparently LOVES THEM. She was making munching sounds akin to cartoons, as if she couldn't shove it in her face fast enough. :lol: Tomorrow I'll see if the boys enjoy 'em!!!!

Frecs":12b9kpkm said:
Okay, here's what you do:

Gather your apples. Juice them. Use the juice to make apple cider vinegar. Give the pulp (or pommace) to the rabbits.

Wait- you can DO that???? :eek: How?! I mean how do you go from "bowl of juiced crabapples" to "vinegar"?!

Nature transforms apple juice into vinegar thru the process of fermentation.
I have a gallon fermenting at this time.
We picked the apples from the ground and cut the best parts and run them in the blender with some water.
Put it all in a gallon jar.
Put a plate on top and wait 40 - 60 days.
Siphon the vinegar.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2cs5q6t3 said:
Frecs":2cs5q6t3 said:
Okay, here's what you do:

Gather your apples. Juice them. Use the juice to make apple cider vinegar. Give the pulp (or pommace) to the rabbits.

Wait- you can DO that???? :eek: How?! I mean how do you go from "bowl of juiced crabapples" to "vinegar"?!

You certainly can! You can do it two ways:

1. Let nature provide the yeasts for fermenting. Put in a crock, cover with a muslin so yeasts can get in but not bugs. Let set.
2. Buy a bottle of Bragg's Raw ACV with mother. Use this as your "starter" by simply adding some of this to your apple juice. Place in a covered crock in a warm place and let it do it's thing.

:eek: AMAZING. That stupid useless crabapple tree has a viable, useful purpose?! OMG, you guys, thanks so much!!! I'm going to try this...now to find someone who'll loan me their blender, LOL, it's like the ONE kitchen item I've never owned. ;)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":uzjrq1u1 said:
:eek: AMAZING. That stupid useless crabapple tree has a viable, useful purpose?! OMG, you guys, thanks so much!!! I'm going to try this...now to find someone who'll loan me their blender, LOL, it's like the ONE kitchen item I've never owned. ;)

Glad to help!

You need either a blender, a juicer, or an apple press. In order to have the pulp/pommace for the rabbits, I think the juicer or press would be better but whatever gets the job done. :p

Similar process works for any pear trees you or the neighbors have that aren't getting harvested....

I am feeding a crabapple to each rabbit every day,
Back in the "old days' crabapple peelings were use to make all jellies-- The smaller the apple, the higher the concentration of pectin in the skins.
Any apple that is less than 2 inches in diameter when ripe is considered a 'crabapple' and the root stocks of many of the full sized fruit trees are 'crabapple' roots.
"Johnny Appleseed" planted rootstocks- settlers then had what they needed for scions to graft to already established...

there, some more useless information just got passed along.....

oops, almost forgot-- apples and roses are closely related....

LOL no wonder I love apples, since I find rose-anything delicious. :lol:

That's awesome!!! Wow, didn't know that about the pectin...is it still a viable way to can things? I am still new to canning, only done a few jars of pickles, cherries and one spicy jar of pickled peppers. :)

The information isn't useless, it means I might get some MORE use out of this tree after all!!! :)

The recipe below talks about using apples from orchard trees, but crabapples work just as well for this process.

Apple Pectin

Okay, the best apples to use for making jam pectin are the small, not quite ripe apples that get thinned from the main crop. They are higher in acid and pectin and make the jam you make from it taste tart and flavorful. However, the pectin will be a bit cloudy. For jelly pectin, when you want that jewel clear gell, you need to use fully mature apples, and those of you who have bird, worm, or hail damage to your fruit, this is fine...just cut out the bad bits and use the good. Don't peel or core the apples, just cut into very thin slices. Use 1 pint of water for every pound of apple. Bring the water to a boil that cannot be stirred down and continue the boil for fifteen minutes. Use a cheesecloth to strain, but do not squeeze the
pulp, just let it drain through naturally. Return the pulp to another kettle of boiling water (same measure you used before) and cook at a bit lower temperature for another fifteen minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then strain the second batch. Again, don't squeeze. Wait until the pulp is nicely cooled to try to squeeze the pulp.

This pectin, or apple jelly, can be canned, or frozen, or you can use it immediately to make other jams or jellies. four cups of homemade pectin replaces 1/2 bottle or 3 ounces of commercial liquid pectin. Not sure how it translates to packaged pectin, other than you'd need to simmer it down quite a bit.

I just throw the apples in with them. They LOVE them and the wood. I use that as a bribe to let me pet them. They don't let me pet them, they don't get the apples. I normally win.

Latest posts

Back