Colour questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckatie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
1000006466.jpgI thought I should get on with the paperwork as the last rex kits born are 7 weeks old. Are the 2 above blue (right) and lilac on the left? No rings.
The second and 3rd below (Gemini -split face and Dandelion) look like diluted chocolate based harlequins. Is there a better word to use? Or are they more squirrel?Is harlequin good for the darker 1st one below- Dragon? No actual white.

Thank you for all of your thoughts! KT

1000006457.jpg
1000006455.jpg

Is the bottom kit a true chocolate? She looks darker in person, with the underlying gray coat.
1000006450.jpg
1000006467.jpg
1000006472.jpg

Attachments

• 1000006466.jpg
    1000006466.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000006466.jpg
    1000006466.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
I thought I should get on with the paperwork as the last rex kits born are 7 weeks old. Are the 2 above blue (right) and lilac on the left? No rings.
Yes, that looks like a lilac (dilute chocolate <aabbC_ddE_>) and a blue to me. Although I'd like to see more of the lilac's body to be able to pick up on the pinkish hue, I can't think of anything else it could be.

The second and 3rd below (Gemini -split face and Dandelion) look like diluted chocolate based harlequins. Is there a better word to use? Or are they more squirrel?Is harlequin good for the darker 1st one below- Dragon? No actual white.
The top bunny (Dragon?) looks like a regular black harlequin; yes, you can just write "harlequin" if it's black-based. The third (Gemini?) looks like it might be a chocolate harlequin rather than lilac harlequin (dilute chocolate=lilac). See how similar the chocolate color is on Gemini and the self chocolate (yes, I agree it's a chocolate):
choc harle face.jpgchoc face.jpg

The other harlequin, Dandelion, has slightly paler chocolate color, but on a lilac (dilute choc) harlequin, I'd expect to see a pinkish cast to the gray, as well as much paler orange. However, at this age and with only one photo to go on, I wouldn't feel certain about calling her either chocolate or lilac.

Squirrel is a blue chinchilla, so if there are no rings in their fur, that wouldn't apply to any of these; also, you would not see orange in an animal with a dominant chinchilla allele (a magpie is a chinchilla harlequin).

Last edited:
Yes, that looks like a lilac (dilute chocolate <aabbC_ddE_>) and a blue to me. Although I'd like to see more of the lilac's body to be able to pick up on the pinkish hue, I can't think of anything else it could be.

The top bunny (Dragon?) looks like a regular black harlequin; yes, you can just write "harlequin" if it's black-based. The third (Gemini?) looks like it might be a chocolate harlequin rather than lilac harlequin (dilute chocolate=lilac). See how similar the chocolate color is on Gemini and the self chocolate (yes, I agree it's a chocolate):
View attachment 42531View attachment 42532

The other harlequin, Dandelion, has slightly paler chocolate color, but on a lilac (dilute choc) harlequin, I'd expect to see a pinkish cast to the gray, as well as much paler orange. However, at this age and with only one photo to go on, I wouldn't feel certain about calling her either chocolate or lilac.

Squirrel is a blue chinchilla, so if there are no rings in their fur, that wouldn't apply to any of these; also, you would not see orange in an animal with a dominant chinchilla allele (a magpie is a chinchilla harlequin).
Thank you. I read on a website that squirrel in rex was brown and gray blend so I had to ask. Good to know.

Edit: I did see self black 2x in the pedigree. A grand that was opal. .... having mostly broken, tri, chocolate, blue, and a couple blacks. Blue/fawn harlequin... I have a tendency to question more now - since the NZs.

My "chocolate " New Zealand silver tipped out, however, I'm thinking his undercoat was not that blue gray. And that his molting out base coat now looks Seal.

Dandelion ...I will look closer

One of the things I've learned here is to be as accurate as I can with the colours. The rest of the litter was easy. Thanks again! 1000006450.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back