Chocolate rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any standard size breed would do (even a good quality cross). It is the gene I want, so the breed doesn't matter. I would actually prefer not to have Rex, but I am not sure how many standard size rabbits that are around in chocolate besides them. If it was a newly introduced gene in some of the breeds, it would be so rare that the cost would be prohibitive.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 pm __________<br /><br />

Unfortunately for some reason chocolate just doesn't get approved very often. Sometimes lilac based colors even get approved before chocolate. Satins probably come in chocolate. Havanas.. Tans which I was thinking of getting but it's kind of a unique pattern instead of your standard solid chocolate and they aren't cheap.

I tried to find one about 3 years ago.... and there was nothing within 200 miles. I don't know why they're not approved in other breeds often, it is such a beautiful color. I guess no one want's to take 3 or 4 years to get the type down, only to get turned down by the committee. Years ago my daughter and I raised and she showed mini-lops. They sort of embraced new colors, but I suspect it was a lot easier then to get the type down than it is now. I haven't been to a rabbit show for at least 30 years. Don't know what the standard for them has become, or if they have chocolate. Back then, a mini-lop wasn't all that small. French Lops were huge (I raised them too, but did not show) The only rabbits that I actually showed myself were NZW..Back then I think it was the most shown rabbit around. Personally, I think a chocolate NZW or Cal would be a trerrific looking animal.

__________ Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:18 pm __________

Farm Girl":vxhd64th said:
I have chocolate Dutch that I am selling.

Thank you, but unless Dutch are much bigger than I remember them, they would be too small.

Too bad though, I think you are pretty close. How much does an adult Dutch weigh?

A bit bigger than a mini rex. Not sure the exact weight but my dutch buck was just barely larger than my mini rex does. The small breeds have a lot more approved colors generally than the large breeds. You can get some of the himi colored breeds (cali and himalayan the breed) in chocolate but they are a little difficult and you'd only have the himi markings without the full chocolate.

I haven't weighed mine but the ADRC says "The senior (over 6 months) weight should be between 3 1/2 lbs to 5 1/2 lbs."

Would this one do even though it has darker points ... it was born on 3/11 and I can get a better photo if you are interested. We are in NW Oklahoma, so don't know if that would be close enough for a meet up.

MR3_2012_2.jpg

It is a cross between a broken black satin doe and my REW EA buck.

Oh, and I almost forgot, it's pelt will be awesome!!!

My Rexes have chocolate in the pedigree, but it's the only color I don't like. Funny, there was supposed to be a chocolate kit in the first litter, but the doe and litter got out, and all kits were collected accept for the chocolate.

It's too close to easter to be talking about chocolate rabbits...i want a chocolate rabbit, but not the furry kind.

Back