Chew Toys

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I just got my new buns today (pics to follow) and was thinking about chew toys. :p
So, which is better hard, soft, or somewhere in the middle woods? My father-in-law has several types of wood that he uses for his wood stove and we can get some blocks from him. :p
Just need to know which would be better.
Did find this website: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/rabbitsh ... abbits.htm I was not aware that oak is toxic to buns.

Thank yall in advance

After reading everyone's post I think the site above might not be very reliable.

wamplercathy":23753jku said:
So, which is better hard, soft, or somewhere in the middle woods?

Soft woods like pine or fir. They don't like hard wood.

wamplercathy":23753jku said:
I was not aware that oak is toxic to buns.

In my experience, it is not. We had a pet bunny (Easter bunny, *gasp*!) and I gave her hollow oak logs as shelter in her pen. They had soft rotted wood in the center, which she completely cleaned out, and she removed all of the bark from the outside of the logs.

Sometimes the leaves of our oaks will blow into the cages, and the rabbits attack them like piranhas. They are like rabbit candy.

Of course, our oaks may be different from others. We have live oaks and scrub oaks. (Sorry, too lazy to find the Latin names.)

I don't think of them as chew toys but we give our rabbits willow, apple, sumac, and poplar. Last spring when we first got rabbits, before leaf out here, they ate the whole piece we put in. Later when we gave them small branches with the leaves on, they ate the leaves and chewed some of the twig ends but didn't eat all the woody parts. This winter we had willow branches we'd dried for them with the leaves on and again they ate the whole thing.

Mine get tuna cans, wood blocks (oak and apple mostly), golf balls, and the whiffle cat balls with bells in them. Some like the toys, some don't.

Cathy, take a close look at MSD's post- especially the bottom picture :)

Latest posts

Back