CENTIPEDES ARE BUNNY AND PET KILLERS (SCOLOPENDRA POLYMORPHA YAVAPAI COUNTY ARIZONA)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmlyyfe

Reaction score
made the huge mistake of not rushing my bunny to the emergency room after finding a huge red welt on my precious plum sesame's back (9 year old american fuzzy lop around 4 pounds) and tried to treat it at home--didn't think much of it after initial information--found the centipede dead in cat food bowl near rabbit--she was dying from a tumor and still tried to save my bunny--she passed a week later although I now know the centipede venom had an effect on her as well--bunny seemed fine--eating--but was slowly slowing down--just thought it old age, heat--he seemed fine but around 2 weeks later he suddenly passed--I KNOW THE CENTIPEDE'S VENOM HAD A DELAYED EFFECT--venom contain myotoxin cardiotoxin and neurotoxin dangerous to pets NO MATTER WHAT GOOGLE SEARCH SAYS. If this happens to your pet do not hesitate to rush to the ER with teh centipede if possible so they can administer anti venom--these instances are not well documented--I had to DIG for anecdotes of these PET KILLERS. My first huge mistake was leaving outside in playpen unattended for 30 minutes with cat food bowl as centipedes are carnivorous, in desert country. PLEASE DON'T REPEAT MY TRAGIC MISTAKE. I read someone found a welt on their cat's paw and the centipede in the toilet bowl--the cat passed a day later by the same strain. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HOW VENOMOUS THE COMMON DESERT CENTIPEDE IS--FATAL TO PETS

it was about 3-4 inches long, body width about 1/3 inch--no pictures unfortunately but it was slightly unusual coloring dark red and brown that made it seem monocolored compared to other common desert centipedes--i believe this was vry close to what i found

Attachments

• SH7RCZ7RFZQRYZMRDZIRULRZWLZZYZJL1LXZCLER0H0ZBLMZSH2RCLRZ9L0RNL0RJZHZ9L7RELQZVLER.jpg
    SH7RCZ7RFZQRYZMRDZIRULRZWLZZYZJL1LXZCLER0H0ZBLMZSH2RCLRZ9L0RNL0RJZHZ9L7RELQZVLER.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
the picture might have been exactly what i found but its difficult to remember the incident was 2-3 weeks ago---bunny's bump had become less red and was going down, thinking back now the lethargy was evident leading up, could've been a delayed allergic reaction, it didn't go down completely in a matter of days, and the bump was near his precious neck and head. he hid pain very well, didn't make any grinding noises. i talked to a vet, it could've gotten infected, tetanus is a concern, i applied ointment but perhaps not strong enough, even though bunnies have a natural resistance to tetanus i read, an online vet said there could have been an unseen infection causing sepsis...again i had no indication except the lthargy and the receding lump....seemed to be eating fine and no gut stasis

if someone cant rush to the vet immediately I recommend argyntyn or some other strong homeopathic antibiotic, organic antiseptic, cleaningan bug bite sites but do not use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide that could slow wound healing, administering charcoal and vitamin E 1000mg drops to help bunny detox. I think the delayed reaction could've been the toxin overwhelmed my bunny's detox's system--though bunnies have a fast metabolism, do not underestimate heir smallness. read somewhere there was an instance of this centipede type sending a woman into near kidney failure due ??? if there's a single instance of it harming a human, take that as indication to instantly secure help--DETOX help and protective liver glutathione would've probably saved my bunny's life--the vitamin E boosts glutathione levels--for charcoal just sprinkle into water. I also recommend grounding sheet/mat for pets (make sure that they cant chew on it) and letting them sleep on you rmagnetico magnetic mattress if you have one fo detox maintenance. And feeding them revers eosmosis drinking water, maybe John Ellis water machine energized if you can afford $$$$

Are you saying you didn't see it happen but your rabbit had a red welt on its back and your cat defended it from a centipede and left the dead centipede in its bowl, then both cat and rabbit died??? Centipedes simply are not that venomous and, while excruciatingly painful (I've been bitten by them) the bites from species in the US are rarely serious. There are rare instances where someone has a bad reaction to the bite but again that's rare. It sounds like your rabbit had an infection or a bad reaction.

Thanks for your account--That's what I had initially thought--then I did some deep research and centipede bites are allergenic especially in small species--there is conserved homology in the proteins in centipede venom , especially in the scolopendra genus, and larger species target lizards and rodents, and studies have shown that centipedes contain hemolytic properties in their venom specifically reactive to rabbit and human blood cells. I'm hoping it wasn't infection, as the bump didn't look it, and he was eating, no extreme tempertaure changes (although I only used his ears as a gauge), and the ointment did contain antimicrobial proeperties, but by some horrible chance he could've contracted tetanus, without any of the warning signs, although this is incredibly rare especially in rabbits--but my sad bet is on the fact he's so small and wasps--a bite that was likened to a centipede's-are also known to kill rabbits simply because thye have such sensitive immune systems, and he couldn't clear the toxins despite the extremely healthy diet of preventative herbs i fed him. I truly think it would've saved his life if I had taken the extra measure to apply a charcoal poultice to draw the poison out and included it in his water intake for severa weeksl (up to 3 weeks--need to do some more research on rabbit detox protocols). The cat was dying from a tumor, but she had more time left than a measly week, call it a feeling. Maybe they aren't as venomous as brown recluse/black widow/ wolf(?) spiders, scorpions, and snakes but my research showed there have been complications in humans, and any possibility of that will increased exponentially in an 15-40 times smaller.

UPDATE Just read applying papain (papya enzyme) and raw onion help deactivate the majority of the venom's proteins. Magnesium sulfate would've also helped to draw the poison out in addition to the charcoal ( I would apply it after the meat tenderizer has taken its time, then follow up with organic antiseptic, then going to the vet for iv fluids check up of vitals etc). I recommend for all bunny owners to hva ethes eitems on hand at all times so you can save your bunny's life if lightning were to strike.

https://www.amazon.com/Alovitox-Ant...prefix=papain+meat+tenderizer,aps,1072&sr=8-5

here are some references
http://taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5463
wikipedia centipede-treatment section

the organic antiseptic should be more robust than mine, containing silver colloidal (argentyn is excellent), maybe acv, more antiseptic oils tea tree oil, maybe peppermint oil for analgesic/ cooling soothing, aloe vera, lemon oil, oregano oil, thyme oil, berberine hcl, clove oil, garlic, onion, all organic, but definitely go to vet and ask if tetanus update is needed ... + probiotics if infection is presen

It seems odd that a centipede would bite on the back of an animal. You didn't mention any bite injuries on the cat's mouth. I think you are jumping to conclusions about what killed your animals and should be looking at other possible causes to be safe. Do you have any photos? I've seen welts on a rabbit's back caused by warbles which led to extreme loss of appetite and rapid loss of health in the rabbit. Removal of them brought instant relief to the rabbit. Other possibilities are bee stings and spider bites, both of which are likely to occur on the back or upper parts of the rabbit. Unless it's declawed, there is also the possibility the cat caused an injury to the rabbit.

I belive it was the centipede that ran into in my plum sesame who was trying to greet it, while the centipede was on the way to the cat food bowl that had chicken in it, never leave animals in an enclosed unattended with food bowl. The timing was too accurate for it not to be the centipede. I inspected him thoroughly, he only the welt, to which PAPAIN should've applied to break down the venom, and then epsom salts/baking soda/ charcoal to draw out the poison,,,,, followed antispetic organics and trip to the pet er. The kitty was already of a tumor, but the cntipede venom did not help as she was already---a quck search vetlexicon shows that centipedes can be aggressive towards smaller animals because they are carnivorous and can cause a plethora of issues

the size of red welt was conspecific to other pix of centipede bites about an inch in height and .75 in width.

UPDTE talked to a bunny expert who's been bit by both centipedes and black widow spiders (which destroy bunnies almost immediately without anti venom help) and likens CENTIPEDE BITES to BLACK WIDOW BITES rather than a bee sting, like google search relates, specifically the scolopendra polymorpha. hope this alerts people to the dangers of centipede bites (not house centipedes bit still allergenic, but scolopendra genus) around their furry loves :(

Back