Can rabbits eat....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandainohio24

Reaction score
Not sure if I have this in the right area but I was wondering if rabbits can safely eat:
oak branches
maple branches
lilac bush/tree branches
We have these all growing in our yard and I would love to be able to give them some if they are safe, especially since it is time to trim some of them trees very soon. (Not sure if breeds matter but they will be for Polish, Netherland Dwarf, and Lionheads)

This link applies to safe animal wood with notes on controversial trees http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

It does not cover leaves or fruit/nut on most of them because it's for perch making decisions.
I believe lilac is completely edible. Many people eat the flowers right off the tree.

Oak branches are not a good idea because of the high levels of tannins they contain.

Some maple branches (Sugar and Silver Maple) are okay but others are questionable. My rabbits have never been enthusiastic about them.

Lilac bush/tree branches are by all accounts safe, but I have never known a rabbit that would eat them.

Sorry if this is disappointing. Willow, poplar, sycamore and mulberry are all good trees for rabbits. Also apple and pear.

Go figure, my parents cut down our mulberry tree last year. I cannot remember what type of maple trees I planted, it has been many years now since I planted them. I will have to let the rabbits give the lilac branches a try.

I wonder how "they" [who publish "safe food lists" for rabbits] determined that Lilac was good for rabbits, my rabbits would rather stave then eat Lilac, and I have heard the same from others, -- I believe, ... that if rabbits do not begin to readily consume a food within 2 or 3 days, it is NOT good rabbit food.

michaels4gardens":2xrcqyhp said:
I wonder how "they" [who publish "safe food lists" for rabbits] determined that Lilac was good for rabbits, my rabbits would rather stave then eat Lilac, and I have heard the same from others, -- I believe, ... that if rabbits do not begin to readily consume a food within 2 or 3 days, it is NOT good rabbit food.

There is a difference between a plant being "safe" (non-toxic) and being palatable.

Also to be considered is that a plant that some rabbits will eat happily, others will turn up their wriggly noses at.

After a trial or two with a plant, I omit it from the diet if they won't eat it readily. There are so many good plants to choose from that it seems counterproductive to waste time and effort gathering ones they will simply waste.

Chaya [kind with out stinging hairs] is a plant that is very nutritious, and rabbits readily consume, but will stop eating it completely after a day or 2 and will not eat it again for about a week, then they will gobble it up again, I "ASSUME" the cyano whatever compounds in it accumulate in their system and have to dissipate before they want any more of it.

I've had some refuse something for weeks and then fall in love with it. It seems to depend how far it is from what they are used to. Most animals do not want to eat strange things because they could be poisonous. It's a good defense in the wild. They adjust to new foods much easier in colony because if one tries something the others will try it instead of convincing each rabbit separately. Something as fragrant as lilac flowers might take awhile to convince them to eat and there will probably be some that are never comfortable with it. If you've never fed flowers before it will probably take a lot of lilac flowers to get anyone to try it. The more restricted their diet growing up, such as buying a rabbit that was fed nothing but pellets, the more new foods they won't touch. Even with things like grains I have run palatability tests.

Chinchillas either don't have anything poisonous in their wild environment or it has been bred out because unlike every other animal I've dealt with they will chew on anything.

Back