Can I use Jane or John to get ...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither tort nor harlequin are recognized Standard Rex colors in the US, so you might not be able to ask a Rex breeder if they have tort, harlequin or orange in their lines. They might not know how to answer you. They aren't called orange here, they are non extension, generally Red.

So you want someone who has non extension or produces Reds. You also want someone who has harlie in the pedigree, or who breeds tricolors.

John and Jane are standards, right? If not, the torts are readily available in minis.

I went rabbit shopping at an auction in a few towns over .. YAY !!

I got there early and stayed till the last cage even. 5:30pm till 1:00am - crazy long time but I enjoyed myself alot. So did my son. He ended up buying a box of 5 guinea pigs for .33 cents each !! That is crazy cheap - the one he has now we paid 25.00 for at the pet shop. THEN - I seen the pet shop owner there buying guinea pigs, rabbits, reptiles and birds too - he buys cheap and sells crazy high !!

There were only two rex type rabbits out of hundreds and I got them both. I got a doe that has kinda the same type fur but not quite like John. The buck is a mini rex I'm almost certain now that I've actually see one in real life and compared to John. ;) John is a standard rex - I know this now.

The buck is an adult because I can visibly see the gonads (the man beside me pointed them out) I know what they look like now on an adult and I now know the size comparison between rex and mini rex. :oops: I'm not sure about the doe - what breed does she look like you ya'll ?

I named the doe Jill and the buck Jack. I paid $4.50 for Jill and $3.50 for Jack. I'm not sure on the colors though, can someone help ID the colors for me, please ?

This is Jill.

IMG_20120818_092150.jpg

This is Jack.

IMG_20120818_092614.jpg

Gpigs for 33cents?!? Amazing!

Jack is an opal, and I'm not sure about Jill. The lighting makes it hard to see her color, but I am leaning towards black tort because of the shading on her ears and face. :?

The doe does not look like rex fur, but she could easily be a rex cross. now you have something to cross if you want to try to get tort into your Rexes. I'm hoping to find a big mini rex tort doe :)

you are so fortunate, i wish I lived in a more farm oriented community, the nearest auction is more than 50 miles away from me.

I agree about Jill's fur- it looks long- but her face looks Rex to me. What do you think, Sky?

MamaSheepdog":2qxy4w9v said:
I agree about Jill's fur- it looks long- but her face looks Rex to me. What do you think, Sky?

The face and body look very rex like. If it wasn't for the fur, I'd say it was a young rex.

skysthelimit":3qe760mh said:
If you are looking for a tort in standard Rex...I believe Caroline says she has had some torts in her standards.
Yes, I sure do have torts. I didn't even know what they were when I first started but I learned fast :? I guess the universe wanted me to be THE QUEEN OF TORTS even though I though I was going for amber. Well I am learning all the time. I also have LOTS of reds [since the non extension gene gives you tort with aa and red with A_ ]

I kept some that I abred since they were such nice bodied buns.
I actually think they can be quite beautiful. Don't know why they are recognized
in mini rex and not in the standard.

I notice that I like to be contrarian. I'm breeding silver martin too :roll:

Here are some pix of some of my tort kits and even some adults.
There are black tort, blue tort and some broken of both:
RM Opaque @ 5 months 1 (640x512).jpg2011-7-6 Razzle 6 small (640x585).jpg2SO5 (640x461).jpg2JD13 @ 6 weeks (640x506).jpg2JD4 @ 6 weeks (640x622).jpg2JD2 @ 6 weeks (640x625).jpg2CJB3 @ 6weeks (640x439).jpg2CJB1 @ 6weeks (640x563).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1149 (640x357).jpg
    DSCN1149 (640x357).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 577
I would like standard torts. Maybe when I've beena member long enough,I'll apply for a COD for torts, if it hasn't been done.

The first showing of silver martens should be at the kansas convention. I am seriously considering breeding some in anticipation of them passing in the next three years. I believe I can show them with the working standard in hand.

By the way, my new buns all have chocolate on the tips, it's growing in just like the black covering grows and eventually covers a castor, I expect them to get darker as they age. They also now have obvious agouti rings on them, so I'd say they are ambers and not reds. I have some picts I will post this evening.

Could Jill possably be a cinnamon? Cinnamons have that kind of elongated rexy type heads too, and she seems to have normal fur instead of rex fur.

Rustina":3nw4q9ws said:
Could Jill possably be a cinnamon? Cinnamons have that kind of elongated rexy type heads too, and she seems to have normal fur instead of rex fur.

she sure could. that's a possibility.

Thanks everyone for the replies, Caroline nice rabbits you have there. I like that last pictured rabbit.

The only real variety and or anything I was looking for color wise were lops, hairy rabbits and really big meat rabbits. Alot of hairy rabbits. Most looked like a ball of fur going past me. :lol:

I dunno what Jill is .. I do know both Jill and Jack were only one rabbit in a small box going past me - all the other rabbits were anywhere from 2 - 10 in a large box or cage. Jill and Jack also were both from the same owner according to their auction tags.

Today is overcast so I took more pictures of Jill for you to see ... she reminds me of some type of dwarf maybe because she has tiny front feet - but I dunno. Whatcha think ?

IMG_20120819_102827-1.jpg

IMG_20120819_103130.jpg

Both are very handsome. I have no clue what Jill is but she looks to have some Netherland in her. Her head, but not the ears.

I think they make a great pair, plus they look so alert and curious. I don't think you would go wrong with breeding them.

Karen

Can I breed a rex fur to a non rex fur and get a rex fur kit ? Because my whole goal is to eventually have just rex fur rabbits.

When Jill was in that box going past me at the auction - she kept jumping outta the box at me - the first time she jumped outta the box and landed on my chest - I was so embarrassed. After that she kept jumping outta the box.

Then they stopped the auction line to auction off some bull calves and I ended up holding Jill the whole time and .. well, that was that.

If she wouldn't have acted like that I would have only bought Jack. To be honest. But now that she is mine - she is just darling.

Can I breed a rex fur to a non rex fur and get a rex fur kit ? Because now I have 2 female non rex fur rabbits (Jill and Jane) and 2 male rex fur rabbits (Jack and John) - I not doing so good sticking to my goal. :p

I've never bred anything before and not good understanding all this generation stuff. This will be a hands on learning for me.

When you say not in the first generation, does that mean if I breed either Jane with John or Jill with Jack that those kits they produce will be the first generation ? Or will what those kits produce be the first generation ?

Also, If I breed Jane with John or Jill with Jack, will those kits have a rex fur gene regardless of their fur ? Then I'm assuming I'd have to breed one of those kits back to John or Jack to get 2 rex fur genes ?

Sooo confusing yet soo exciting !!

So then Jack is an Opal = A_B_C_ddE_ ??

What would Jills be ?

MKirst":wu0ue9xn said:
I've never bred anything before and not good understanding all this generation stuff. This will be a hands on learning for me.

When you say not in the first generation, does that mean if I breed either Jane with John or Jill with Jack that those kits they produce will be the first generation ? Or will what those kits produce be the first generation ?

Also, If I breed Jane with John or Jill with Jack, will those kits have a rex fur gene regardless of their fur ? Then I'm assuming I'd have to breed one of those kits back to John or Jack to get 2 rex fur genes ?

Sooo confusing yet soo exciting !!

So then Jack is an Opal = A_B_C_ddE_ ??

What would Jills be ?

New to all this breeding, genetics and generation stuff myself. I will be breeding my DM Lion heads for the first time soon. This is what I think. The first generation will be the kits from Jane/John or Jill/Jack. Since John and Jack have the Rex gene, they will be passing them off to the kits, which would make them possibly a Rex carrier. I know that much researching the Double Mane Gene in Lion heads. Then I would take hopefully a doe from that first generation that has more of the rex coat and breed her back to John or Jack, which would make that the second generation. Those kits, with Dad as Rex, and daughter with Rex gene should help bring more kits with Rex coats.

With the Double Mane Gene, if you have a DM Buck and breed to a doe with no Mane gene, you can get 100% kits with the Single Mane Gene (first generation). Then breed back a doe with the single mane gene to the DM Buck and you get 50% DM and 50% Single (second generation).

Sometimes I read this stuff and it makes my eyes and head hurt. I'm on the same learning experience as you, so I'm taking it one step at a time. I made it easier for myself and got Buck and Doe, both having the DM gene. Now to see if they will actually breed and be successful is the next step.

Karen

If either of your does, already have the Rex gene, you may see Rex fur in the kits. Breeding seems to be the only way you will find out about possible - Rex coat and colors

There are a lot of predictable outcomes, if you are only trying to get showable colors that are dominant or have a clear hierarchy. Once you start trying to get colors that rely on hidden and recessive genes, you run into trouble. The one thing you can always know, is that if it has Rex fur, and you breed it to Rex fur, you get Rex fur.

Back