Can a registered rabbit have the wrong color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
I bought a Netherland Dwarf that I was told is registered and I have the number. I was told he was a broken blue, but he's actually a broken opal. I'm not sure how this can be? I've never shown so I don't know how all this works. Is there a site that I can search for his number on?

Why do you think he's opal? Obviously the registrar who inspected him thought he was blue.

His fur has rings and he has fawn behind his ears. I bred him to a himi and they has an opal kit!

Attachments

• 0610022116.jpg
    0610022116.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,917
  • 0610022117.jpg
    0610022117.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,917
He definatley isn't blue. Obviously the register didn't know what he was doing or maybe it was just a mistake in the paperwork. I'm not sure if they do all that stuff by hand or computer, both are easily messed up.

Do you know if there is a website I can check? I'm wondering if possibly the breeder gave me the wrong info or pedigree. He was in the middle of moving across town, and had recently downsized his rabbitry. He originally had about 300 rabbits. I can definitely see how things maybe got mixed up! I've contacted him about it too...haven't heard back yet though.

You will have to take him to a show or see if a registrar can come out usually for a fee and check him. Then correct the paperwork if necessary. Shows and officials are listed on the rabbit breeders site http://arba.net/ .

I don't see a circle with an "R" in it in that ear there...are you sure he is registered??

***had to go check real quick lol
You should have a circled "r", or a number tattooed in that right ear, otherwise - if it's not there...perhaps you have the right paperwork, but the wrong rabbit.

Typykal":3fcdonno said:
I don't see a circle with an "R" in it in that ear there...are you sure he is registered??

***had to go check real quick lol
You should have a circled "r", or a number tattooed in that right ear, otherwise - if it's not there...perhaps you have the right paperwork, but the wrong rabbit.

Good looking out Typykal. Yes there should be a number in that ear.

When we had ours registered the registra said they only put the circle R in, if we want numbers in we do it. ?
I imagine even a registra could get color wrong if they aren't familiar w a certain breed or color. We had angoras and had registrar double check colors and would get even more confused with different opinions! Lol!

countryhorse":2leq9fl4 said:
When we had ours registered the registra said they only put the circle R in, if we want numbers in we do it. ?
I imagine even a registra could get color wrong if they aren't familiar w a certain breed or color. We had angoras and had registrar double check colors and would get even more confused with different opinions! Lol!

Initially, it would just be the circled r in the right ear - to mark the rabbit as registered. Later, a number would be added in the right ear by a registrar when the rabbit becomes a grand champion. The left ear, would be the only ear a breeder should tattoo, for identification purposes only. Sorry I mispoke, I'm a bit more scatter brained than I care to admit today lol :oops:

Typykal":31yhnlyw said:
countryhorse":31yhnlyw said:

Initially, it would just be the circled r in the right ear - to mark the rabbit as registered. Later, a number would be added in the right ear by a registrar when the rabbit becomes a grand champion. The left ear, would be the only ear a breeder should tattoo, for identification purposes only. Sorry I mispoke, I'm a bit more scatter brained than I care to admit today lol :oops:

:)The point we are all trying to make, is if that buck was registered, that ear would be marked.

Ok thanks for all the info! He does have a number in the other ear. I'll check to see if it matches the number on the pedigree he gave me. I'll look better for the R in his ear but I don't think it's there. I wish the breeder would get back with me. His pedigree doesn't make sense...he's supposedly out of a blue and a broken blue which is impossible since he's an opal. I guess it's possible the breeder was calling his father a broken blue also, and he might have really been a broken opal. I'd like to be able to sell the babies as pedigreed. He also only put the colors of the parents, grandparents etc. but no names. Is that a big issue?

MamaMandy":386k42bf said:
Ok thanks for all the info! He does have a number in the other ear. I'll check to see if it matches the number on the pedigree he gave me. I'll look better for the R in his ear but I don't think it's there. I wish the breeder would get back with me. His pedigree doesn't make sense...he's supposedly out of a blue and a broken blue which is impossible since he's an opal. I guess it's possible the breeder was calling his father a broken blue also, and he might have really been a broken opal. I'd like to be able to sell the babies as pedigreed. He also only put the colors of the parents, grandparents etc. but no names. Is that a big issue?

There are no names of grandsire and grand dam?

Without the names of the grandsire and granddam, you don't really have a complete pedigree, you can't sell those babies as having a full pedigree, only partial.

Hopefully it is just a mistake, and you do indeed have the correct pedigree for the rabbit in question - or if not he gets back to you so you can at least get the right pedigree. As for the missing pedigree info, in order for you to be able to register offspring and be eligible to get their grand championship in showing you must have a pedigree that lists the ear number, weight, and variety of three generations, everything on it must be the same breed, and the animal being registered must be at least 6 months old at the time of inspection. So if you are missing some of that information on the pedigree, it would put some limitations on any offspring out of him as far as registration goes. You can still show them, but if they meet requirements for GC they will not be eligible.

You don't need names for the parents and grandparents. You just need numbers, colors, and weights. If they have no name then just put the ear number as the name. That's often done with meat breeds even if they are raised by someone against using them as meat animals. Many don't use names with commercial type breeds.

There are a couple ear numbers listed, but for the most part, he only gave me colors. :( I guess I can always do some linebreeding and build my own pedigrees...it would take some time but I did it a few years back with an unpedigreed Netherland that was a great little guy. It was pretty cool to see all of my own rabbits on the whole pedigree!

Hi typykal, thanks for the info! We have 1 granded and registered but need the number put in now I guess, don't know how they are going to fit it in the ear, lol! Right over the top of the R? It will look so jumbled?
Sorry other poster I realized what the original post was but got interested in the R topic guess I should have made a new topic. We have another 1 just registered and she has 8 legs so she can be granded too.
Thank you

Whether or not the rabbit is marked in the right ear depends upon the registrar. I had 2 bucks reg'd earlier this year, and the registrar didn't mark the ear on either of them. They're supposed to do so, I'll give all of you that, but bottom line is it wasn't done to either rabbit.

Back to the question at hand. Whether or not a miscolored rabbit can be registered depends upon how the SOP reads for that breed. If the miscoloration is listed specifically as a fault or to be acceptable within the breed's standard, yes it can be registered. If it's miscoloration is listed as a DQ, it cannot be registered. Also, rabbits have to be a minimum of 6 months old to be registered.

Well, his color is fine...it just isn't the color the breeder told me it was! I couldn't figure out how he's gotten him registered but still didn't know the correct color. I mean, I'm by no means an expert and I knew right away he couldn't be a broken blue.

Maybe you were told wrong and he's not registered. The only number the person could give you is his ear number not a registration number. Only GC get a number so there is no number to look up to prove he's registered. You just have a rabbit with no marking and some paperwork that doesn't match with poor record keeping. Either someone really doesn't know what they are doing or you got taken. Also some people think that pedigreed=registered and use the wrong terminology calling their rabbits registered when they only have pedigrees.

Back