Calfornians as Pets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should go in the meat forum or pet forum, so please move it if needed.

So my girlfriend became attached to one of my does kits and sweet talked me into giving it to her as a pet. She's very supportive of my rabbitry adventures so it's the least I can do.

Do Cals make good house rabbits? I'd assume so, but I haven't heard of a Cal as a pet, so I wasn't sure how they do. What's the life expectancy of a Cal, and since she is keeping it as a pet, is it recommended to get it spayed/neutered since it won't be breeding?

Thanks!

-Mike

I had a cal as a pet when I was a child, he lived in the yard, (no cage) for several years. He loved to be petted and would come running up to me to get his pellets.

I have lots of good natured Cals, they are very friendly and intelligent. Good as pets for older kids and adults, not so much for smaller kids, since they tend to be 10lbs or so full grown.

californians are mild mannered , would make as good a pet as any other rabbit. If there is no reason why it shouldnt be bred, then there is no reason to have it fixed if its not gonna be around other rabbits. If at some point your girl friend cant keep it or doesnst want it anymore , you could use in in your breeding program.

The feed store where I used to buy my feed had a very spoiled Cal buck as a pet. He lived in a HUGE, fancy, two-story hutch.

Temperamentally, I think they make great pets, but as OAF says, they're awfully big for a young child to handle.

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure since i've only had these guys a couple of months.

if a buck is raised on its own it doesn't need to be a rabbit that sprays. NOT all bucks spray. in fact I cull for that sort of behaviour. Who wants a mouthful of pee in the morning? Not my idea of fun.

But if it doesn't need fixing, don't bother with the surgery. it's a risky business at times.

Cali rabbits can be just the same as other rabbits as pets. only difference is size and size is only relative. not everyone wants a rabbit they can pick up. My son is six, his rabbit is a new zealand red. he has NO desire to carry her around, but let her hop around the backyard with him and he's a happy camper. :)

Latest posts

Back