Cage size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very happy with using 2x4' cages for my does with litters and 2x3' for my bucks, grow-outs, and replacement stock. I think the rule of thumb is one square foot per pound of adult rabbit, or something like that. I do think the bucks and replacement stock could stand to be in slightly smaller cages, but they like to run around so much and I try to have my cages be as versatile as possible. And if I ever switch to a smaller breed I can try putting in a divider in the 2x4' cages to make smaller ones for bucks (since I put in two doors) and use the 2x3' cages for the does. Just what I do!

There 2 different ones on amazon and I just couldn't picture the dimensions. I didnt wanna buy the smaller one and it be wayyyy too small..

Yeah! That is something that would be disappointing, for sure. Something I just want to mention really quick is that there is wire from less-than-ideal sources from other countries that can wear out faster than good wire. Just something to be aware of when you're investing in cages. :)

What's the minimum cage size a standard rex should be housed in?
the minimum rule of thumb is one square foot for every two pound of body wight. so a rabbit that weighs 8 pound would get a minimum of 4 square feet. i personaly would shoot for bigger, as small cages can cause stress, aggression, and other issues. (more information on that in this study Behavioral Effects of Cage Size and Environmental Enrichment in New Zealand White Rabbits - PubMed) you cam also find an official breeder cage chart here ARBA Recommendations for the Care of Rabbits and Cavies

........ you cam also find an official breeder cage chart here ARBA Recommendations for the Care of Rabbits and Cavies
My own opinion on the ARBA recommendations is that they are way too low. WAY too low. For instance, the chart suggests a Silver Marten can be OK in a cage that is 4 square feet. My personal minimum for one Silver Marten is 8 square feet, and most of mine have more room than that. (Some cages are joined together).

What's the minimum cage size a standard rex should be housed in?
I have one pair of standard Rex. The buck is in a 30x30in and the doe is in a 30x36in. They are doing well but IMHO those would be the minimum for good health. Mine have to fit into a certain space and so I do the best I can. I dream of larger cages...

Latest posts

Back