buying rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmabb

Reaction score
So I livei n Arizona and I'm looking in a few months on buying some more does to add to my rabbitry. Wheres the best place to find them? Would I just wait until the fair comes to look there and buy? There are few breeders but most are in the upper parts of the state which I dont want to drive to. How do you buy/get your rabbit? :?: :?: :?:

I'd check the ARBA website for future sanctioned shows, and start by going to a few of them. You'll get to handle whatever you're wanting to buy upfront, plus you'll get an idea of what the finished animals will ultimately look like.

I bought my first ones by driving 1,200 miles round trip to/from the breeder's house, then bought my next ones by driving over 1,100 miles round trip. It was a steep price to pay, but I've never regretted doing so. Not saying it's what you have to do, as that is dictated by where you are living in relation to where the nearest reputable breeders are located, but either that or the shows are where you're most likely to get good quality rabbits to start out with.

These last rabbits I bought, I put an add on Craigs List looking for NZB, and got a response from one breeder. I was looking for something very specific, and could not find it in my area, so I posted in an area where we had to drive, but it's a much more populated area, with more breeders. Someone here also suggested to me a while back, when I was looking for CA rabbits, to sign up for the CA Yahoo group. I think Yahoo has a chat group for pretty much everything, so check that out.

When we buy rabbits, I prefer to go directly to the rabbitry to buy. You can see everything, and get a better feel for how the rabbits are cared for.

Fuzzy9, what we're likely to begin running into much more frequently is that breeders are going to be far more reluctant or outright refusing to have prospective breeders coming to where they live. The answer for why can be found in 3 words: 6 Bells Rabbitry.

I visited the rabbitry directly when I bought mine as well, and it's sad that it is coming down to that, but you don't have to look very far off into the future to see it becoming common for breeders to not wanting visitors in their rabbit houses.

I can believe it, it's sad that it's had to come to this. :(

sweet ok thanks. Plus we are leaving for Heber/Showlow next week end and I found a rabbitry near Snowflake that sell Californias and New Zealands. Ya!!!

SatinsRule":tyl3lgp0 said:
Fuzzy9, what we're likely to begin running into much more frequently is that breeders are going to be far more reluctant or outright refusing to have prospective breeders coming to where they live. The answer for why can be found in 3 words: 6 Bells Rabbitry.

I visited the rabbitry directly when I bought mine as well, and it's sad that it is coming down to that, but you don't have to look very far off into the future to see it becoming common for breeders to not wanting visitors in their rabbit houses.
Their first move is always wanting to visit so they can,"Buy a rabbit". I don't let anyone within sight of my rabbits unless it is an estabished and trusted customer.

hoodat":kur4i3f1 said:
Their first move is always wanting to visit so they can,"Buy a rabbit". I don't let anyone within sight of my rabbits unless it is an estabished and trusted customer.

fuzzy9":kur4i3f1 said:
I can believe it, it's sad that it's had to come to this. :(

Yes, that is correct. The THP's set you up then play you like a drum. So sad that it's come to that.

I don't think anyone can look at the squallor that the rabbits at 6 Bells were living in and think it was at all normal. I've seen some of the pics, and it was disgusting. What alarms me the most about the whole fiasco were the civil liberties pertaining to the owner which the court outright violated by imposing all the sterilizations and such without the owner having ever had a day in court. The idea that it could happen in this country is what should alarm the heck out of all of us. I know it does for me.

I don't blame breeders at all for being so hesitant, not one bit! :) The sad thing about all of this, is that visiting the rabbitry is where you can learn alot about the animals you could potentially be buying. It's also where you could learn some very valuable skills as well, asking questions, getting answers, etc. I honestly would never hold it against a breeder if they decided not to let me in, especially now, but it's still the best way to buy IMHO. ;) It's where you'll see who is sneezing, and potential for fur mites if someone is scratching excessively. I also think a rabbit put in a carrier, and hauled somewhere is not going to be acting, or showing it's true personality, the same way it would in it's own personal space that it's used to, and feels comfortable in. For those, like me, who care about rabbit personalities, and aggressive/non-aggressive, I want to know all that before I buy.

Just like everything else, these are changing times, and I can't see it getting any better. Sad!

How would it sit with some of you-- the rabbitry itself is off limits to visitors, and rabbits 'for sale' have an area to be shown to the potential buyer--

Makes sense. After all, you buy a car off of a lot. You don't walk through the factory to pick it out.

I guess those of you in California are screwed six ways to Sunday then... because its ILLEGAL to sell animals off property! In fact if I am not mistaken it is now a FELONY>> That totally sucks for those that sell the odd rabbit at a show. I am sorry but exactly where is the democracy in something like that? There are already laws to address actual cruelty itself, so don't know why that little gem of a law was even needed. :(

Devon, you know what? The wierd thing about it all is that California is probably the most active state in terms of rabbit clubs, shows, breeder numbers, etc. In any given year, there are more shows than one can imagine. If the breeders in CA are legislatively driven from raising rabbits, it will make for a huge negative impact on the ARBA and national specialty clubs in general.

I thought and read it was in any public place but it was not covering private property, the only place a person can sell is from thier home.

Its bad, very bad any which way it is with some thing like that. But in general I dont even allow visitors any more since I had 2 separate people try to steal some very young english lops. Considering how bad it is, there isnt as much public stink over it as I thought there would be (tv, mags, etc.). I see a lot on list but not much when it comes to general public.

SMR":310zpim5 said:
Considering how bad it is, there isnt as much public stink over it as I thought there would be (tv, mags, etc.). I see a lot on list but not much when it comes to general public.

the reason there is no 'public stink' is because 1) the public does not know of the laws and 2) do not think they are affected.

AS a nation, we are being over-regulated, and the regulations are NOT in the best interest of we, the people.

Frosted Rabbits":2kbz0rmu said:
SMR":2kbz0rmu said:
Considering how bad it is, there isnt as much public stink over it as I thought there would be (tv, mags, etc.). I see a lot on list but not much when it comes to general public.

the reason there is no 'public stink' is because 1) the public does not know of the laws and 2) do not think they are affected.

AS a nation, we are being over-regulated, and the regulations are NOT in the best interest of we, the people.
SatinsRule":2kbz0rmu said:
Devon, you know what? The wierd thing about it all is that California is probably the most active state in terms of rabbit clubs, shows, breeder numbers, etc. In any given year, there are more shows than one can imagine. If the breeders in CA are legislatively driven from raising rabbits, it will make for a huge negative impact on the ARBA and national specialty clubs in general.

Agreed 100%!!!

What i would like to know is why is ARBA not more active in this issue? They should be protecting the Rabbit Fancy not sitting by while they lose a huge chunk of their membership and shows?

Frosted Rabbits":ek2tkhoa said:
SMR":ek2tkhoa said:

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."

Anywho, I do not plan on having anyone come out to my house unless I've met them several times and they seem to be good people. My husband is gone a lot and I just don't feel right about having a bunch of strangers know where I live and "casing the joint" while I show them rabbits.

Devon's Mom Lauren":2caz2opf said:
Agreed 100%!!!

What i would like to know is why is ARBA not more active in this issue? They should be protecting the Rabbit Fancy not sitting by while they lose a huge chunk of their membership and shows?

I can assure you that the ARBA IS active in the matter, but the problem is that the animal rights lobby has an almost endless supply of resources. They've now enlisted the ready and able aid of hollywood actors/actresses and musicians who dump big bucks in their laps. You cannot hardly sit and watch TV at nights without HSUS running its weepy-eyed puppy, starving dog and cat commercials in front of you at some point. Those TV ad spots costs big money, and they apparently have plenty of it to burn and still lobby federal, state and local governments to pass the laws they're now shoving down our throats. What the ARBA has is a small drop in a very large bucket in comparison.

I personally wouldn't buy any animal if the owner/breeder was weird or hesitant about letting me see where they keep them. You have nothing to be scared of as long as you have nothing to be ashamed of.

And this weekend alone we purchased chickens from two places. The owners proudly showed me their barns and coops. Anytime I purchased chickens I see the barn.

When we picked up the NZ's I was allowed to come and pick out the ones I wanted and the owner was AWESOME with hints and tips.

Latest posts

Back