Bunny safe eye ointment?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently bunnysitting for a friend. Having so many bunnies myself, Ive dealth with some eye infections especially on baby bunnies, but my friend's bunny has a really bad one. She also has a ear infection on the same side. This bunny is 10 years old and I certainly dont have the money for a vet for a bunny who's not mine and I sadly no longer have any penniciline since my jar has expired and I've not had enough of a need to procure more.
I gave her ivermectin for her ears. I suspect she has mites since both ears were crusty, mild case mind you, but with one ear being infected and having other bunnies of my own to worry about it was important (next dose in 2 weeks)
I'm cleaning her eye a few times a day and giving her polysporin pink eye drops. I've also cleaned both ears. The eye drops are not helping much though cause they're liquid and just fall out quickly plus her eye keeps getting stuck closed.
Ive seen some type of ointment used in cases for dogs and cats. It's a gel ointment thing and it sticks to the eye, protecting it and keeping the eyelids from sticking. Anyone know what it's called and if it's safe for bunnies? I'm from Canada so some medicines can be prescription only wich I wont be able to get so some alternatives would also be welcome. I also have the normal polysporin ointment gel and the triple antibacterial version but those are not usually recommended on bunny wounds since they mess with their immune system too much, but maybe for an eye it'd work? probably not but I thought I'd mention it... otherwise... maybe vaseline?

Hi, I am currently bunnysitting for a friend. Having so many bunnies myself, Ive dealth with some eye infections especially on baby bunnies, but my friend's bunny has a really bad one. She also has a ear infection on the same side. This bunny is 10 years old and I certainly dont have the money for a vet for a bunny who's not mine and I sadly no longer have any penniciline since my jar has expired and I've not had enough of a need to procure more.
I gave her ivermectin for her ears. I suspect she has mites since both ears were crusty, mild case mind you, but with one ear being infected and having other bunnies of my own to worry about it was important (next dose in 2 weeks)
I'm cleaning her eye a few times a day and giving her polysporin pink eye drops. I've also cleaned both ears. The eye drops are not helping much though cause they're liquid and just fall out quickly plus her eye keeps getting stuck closed.
Ive seen some type of ointment used in cases for dogs and cats. It's a gel ointment thing and it sticks to the eye, protecting it and keeping the eyelids from sticking. Anyone know what it's called and if it's safe for bunnies? I'm from Canada so some medicines can be prescription only wich I wont be able to get so some alternatives would also be welcome. I also have the normal polysporin ointment gel and the triple antibacterial version but those are not usually recommended on bunny wounds since they mess with their immune system too much, but maybe for an eye it'd work? probably not but I thought I'd mention it... otherwise... maybe vaseline?
Most of us up here use Terramycin ointment for rabbits' eyes. Should be able to find it from several sources:
1671416162243.png

Also for the eye you can use triple antibiotic ointment!!
Most of us up here use Terramycin ointment for rabbits' eyes. Should be able to find it from several sources:
View attachment 33164
For the ears, if it’s ear mites you can use any type(correct me if I am wrong)of oil. The mites will get stuck in it.

Thanks all of you.
Terramycin is what I was looking for, but it sadly probably needs a vet prescription for it here, but I checked ingredients and the triple antibiotic polysporin has polymyxin B in it so I'm gonna try that for her.

I am aware of using oils for the ears; mineral or baby oil are the best kinds for the purpose, but it's usually not nescessary when using anti parasite medicine. The mites should resolve themselves thanks to the ivermectin and I've already cleaned out the crusts and they're draining again. Turns out second ear was also infected but I couldnt tell before cause it was only mild and only now that it's draining was I able to notice. I cleaned them again today and got a lot out, probably wont touch em for the next few days though to give her skin time to rest.
The eye is already showing very mild improvement thanks to my cleaning and forcing it open several times since yesterday, but according to my friend she's had it for months and her treatment of it has been spotty so it kept coming back/getting worse.... The eye drops also has polymixin B but main issue in my opinion is the eye getting sealed shut by crusts wich is why I wanna try the ointment at least to jump start the healing. Crusted closed eye will only get worse and I can only force it open so many times per day afterall.....
I appreciate everyone's input. Ive got the bunny for a month so as long as things start working it should be enough to get her better. Bunny's not happy with me but I'm just trying to get her better while she's in my care.
I just hope I don't "kill with kindness" by trying to help too much :/ she is 10 years old afterall.

Is she is a cage or free roamed (or something else)? 'Cause you'll want to make sure that her area is very clean (And that she's not bothering her eye)

Is she is a cage or free roamed (or something else)? 'Cause you'll want to make sure that her area is very clean (And that she's not bothering her eye)
She's a cage bunny, I have 20 rabbits so I can't have em free roam sadly. In my room I have 4 of mine plus her now. The rest are in my rabbitry outside.
This bunny is used to to wood chips...... I HATE wood chips! I despise the stuff. Hate the smell, hate the mess, hate the health risks and since 80% of my rabbits are angora or lionhead you bet I will not let the stuff near my bunnies. So when my friend brought her bunny over I especially told her to bring the cage free of wood chips. I've instead given her the litter material I normally use (recycled crumbled paper bedding). Although, since she's not litter trained I had to fill her whole cage with it. Bit expensive to do but I much rather do this than let wood chips near anybunny... Heck chances are her eye infection is caused by a shard of woodchip irritating her eye or something.

Good news, I've checked and her eye is still fully opened several hours after applying the ointment. I shouldve had to force it open by now so the fact it's fully opened and looks pretty clean is a great sign! As I mentionned Ive dealth with other eye infections before, step 1 is always to make sure the eye can open and drain properly. Her's was just too severe for my usual methods so I wanted the ointment's more lasting staying power versus the drops.
So things are promissing now. Unless there's a major change in her condition I'll give you guys another update in a couple days

Basics as i know them : clean the eye first, ointments, salves or whatever won't work trough the barrier of pus. Camomille tea (strong and cooled) makes good eye and wound wash that is also pretty easy to get (here pretty much all supermarkets have it). For soaking crud off, use the wet teabag as a poultice on the eye for a few minutes. Keeping it clean i.e. removing the infection reservior as much/often as possible does a lot for helping an animal fight the part you cannot reach.

Antibiotics are prescription only here too and require a vet visit. Both due to antibiotics resistance prevention and they want to know what the problem is, just infection from irritation/lower immune system or damage to the eye(ball) that may need another approach.

Crusted closed eye will only get worse and I can only force it open so many times per day afterall.....
I find that laying a warm, wet (but not drippy) cloth over the crusted eye to soften the crust, and then gently using the warm cloth to remove the crust does wonders. It makes opening the eye much gentler and easier, and I think the warmth is soothing to the bunny.

Her eye has not crusted or sealed shut since I've used the ointment on her. I've applyed it only twice so far and the skin around her eye is already healthier. Her ears are much cleaner but I still had to clean quite a bit out yesterday.
Second dose of ivermectin is soon so the ears should keep improving after that.
I'm not worried anymore tbh, even if she doesnt fully heal by the time her owner is back, she's improving. I know the ointment is helping a lot more than the drops ever did. They're especially making her a lot more comfortable too, so my friend will be glad. Also since the ointment doesnt need too much reapplying unlike the drops, she'll be able to maintain treatment a lot easier.
She just needs time now.

Latest posts

Back