bunny poop ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassdawg

Reaction score
Hi i dont know how to say this but my Holland Lop , sometimes her little marbles stick together up to 3 or 4 in one long poop .Is this normal ? What should i do ? She gets hay every day an she is 11 weeks old .
Thanks for your help .
Bill

They may be the cecal pellets. Usually you don't see those because the rabbit consumes them directly from the anus as they are produced. Sounds gross, but it is a normal behaviour that allows the rabbit to extract more nutrients from its feed. Now and again you may see a cluster of these and they are moister and softer than regular droppings.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Just what MaggieJ said... those are cecals (kind of looks like a cluster of itty-bitty grapes?). No worries... that is perfecly normal. :)

Yeah, what they said. Over time, you'll see that "clackers" and "dingleberries" are a fairly common thing. The worst part of it is when they keep getting stuck on cage flooring.

SatinsRule":1ahrzob0 said:
Yeah, what they said. Over time, you'll see that "clackers" and "dingleberries" are a fairly common thing. The worst part of it is when they keep getting stuck on cage flooring.
no...trust me...the worst part of it is when they get stuck in the long angora fur. particularly the darker colored rabbits. One doesn't SEE them until it's too late. :x

Actually never seen this problem. Our rabbits have individual fully formed dry droppings that never stick to the cage floor or their fur. We feed unlimited hay and practically unlimited sunflower seeds. I mix the sunflower seeds in a calculated ratio but they often leave some of it until last so unless they are fed less than they want to eat in a given time they won't eat all the sunflower seeds in the feed ration.

The other possibility is that they are regular poops that are strung together with fur, like a >cough< pearl necklace. If this is the case, you just need to make sure she is getting plenty of fiber. I saw she gets hay every day, and that is excellent. She should have an unlimited amount of it, since this is what will ensure that everything keeps moving. If you are concerned that she has too much fur in her system, then I understand some pineapple can help dissipate it. :)

If it is the cecal pellets, yeah, I do see them occasionally. Sometimes so long they look like the long-fruited mulberry - http://www.creatorspalette.com/Ornament ... rS2n-L.jpg .

They look like smaller versions of the regular bunny berries, and all stuck together.

Anntann":3mrsv60y said:
SatinsRule":3mrsv60y said:
no...trust me...the worst part of it is when they get stuck in the long angora fur. particularly the darker colored rabbits. One doesn't SEE them until it's too late. :x

Since I don't (and probably will NEVER) raise Angoras, I'll just take your word for it.

Even still, cleaning the clackers off the cage floor wiring is still not a pleasant task, at all. :lol:

I always considered seeing an occasional cecal dropping as a good thing. It shows everything is moving along as it should.

I was also thinking "string-of-pearls". It happens even with rabbits that have normal, short coats. Cecal pellets really do resemble a cluster of tiny grapes all bunched together but poops with a hair going through them are in single file.

Latest posts

Back