Building outdoor hutch?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToesInTheSand

Reaction score
Here is the wire I found:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD...Hardware-Cloth-308224B/202285818#.Ucj31Ts3sfV
http://www.lowes.com/pd_218929-8003...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=hardware+cloth&facetInfo=

The wood:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_69466-99899...r&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=pine+lumber&facetInfo=

Here are some cage ideas:

Questions:
I live in Texas, so am I to use all wire(pic #1) or should the sides be plywood (pic #3) or should the sides and back be plywood the rest wire(pic #2)? Also, what should I use for a roof? I thought the metal roof would become too hot. And should I build a "house" area so if he can hide in their to feel somewhat protected?

Attachments

• rabbit_hutch_sturdy_cedar_for_outdoor_rabbit_70_near_mopac_anderson_lane_29769917.jpg
    rabbit_hutch_sturdy_cedar_for_outdoor_rabbit_70_near_mopac_anderson_lane_29769917.jpg
    89.6 KB
  • outdoor-rabbit-hutch.jpg
    outdoor-rabbit-hutch.jpg
    23.9 KB
  • 3K23Fb3H85L35F65H9d6345aeddac466e12eb.jpg
    3K23Fb3H85L35F65H9d6345aeddac466e12eb.jpg
    41.5 KB
You won't want to use hardware cloth for the floor. The wire is too thin and can hurt their feet. I can't really suggest or offer any other suggestions, though.

You should probably enclose at least one area, so the bun will be protected from horizontal rain. Judicious use of a 1/2" drill bit should give proper ventilation.

I know for pastured poultry, Joel Salatin uses tin roofs. I believe the reasoning is a) it will last forever and b) you can hose it down as an effective way to cool the whole "house". I'm going to be using the roofing in picture #3 for one of mine. It is "UV protected" (on one side, not sure which :? ) and reflective.

Yes on building a house area. My first incarnation of an outdoor hutch (a tractor, actually) opens to the "apartment". In retrospect this is a bad idea, I think. The rabbit should have an area that is his and his alone, that can't be easily invaded.

On the materials, I've read that you want welded wire mesh not hardware cloth. Rabbits can (and will) probably chew through 19ga, if they get bored enough. So go for 16 gauge at least, 14 gauge is preferred, for the sides. Definitely use 14ga for the floor. Miss M posted a few pictures of the difference between the two (ran across the post today, oddly enough). topic6438.html

Make sure it's galvanized AFTER welding. Galvanized before welding can corrode faster, which would be a big problem outside.

For the frame, 2"x2" furring strips should suffice. They're pretty sturdy (and a heck of a lot cheaper). The 2x4s would be good for the stand.

I agree- no on the hardware cloth. I would suggest 1/2 x 1 inch wire for the floor, and 1 x 2 inch for the sides. I would add a house area to it also. There are lots of places to get the wire- if you want something local (as opposed to it being shipped), try Tractor Supply or a local building supply place (not sure Lowe's carries anything other than hardware cloth, but my hubby's small building supply store does- or can order it). With the Texas heat, I would have as much wire as possible, besides a house area.

When using wood that the rabbits can come in contact with, remember to use non-treated wood. For the hutch, hubby says "prime grade" wood is overkill. You want the lower grades- cheaper and fine for your purpose. Again, a smaller building supply place might be a good place to look.

Oh, one more thing. Under the hutch- be prepared for poo and urine. That means smells and bugs. You might want to think about how you want to address that. And it might influence where you end up putting the hutch.

Good luck with your project!

For non treated wood is there certain types of wood I should avoid ie. pine, cedar? Ugh, how could I forget about the smells and bugs. Anyone have advice on that?

For our outdoor hutch I used 1 x 1 inch 14 gauge galv wire. I like the 1 x 1 as opposed to the 1 x 2 inch for the sides and top because I think it gives a little more security to the rabbits and makes it more difficult for things to reach in.

Also, bigger breed newborn kits won't fall through. I had one beveren baby delivered on the wire and it could not fit through the 1 x 1 in wire so I was able to put it in the nestbox and save it as opposed to it falling out of the cage to the ground.

I used 1/2 x 1/2 inch, 14 ga wire for some of the floors in the hutch. I have beverens (10-12 lbs) in the hutch and not all the droppings fall through. My other cages are all the 1/2 x 1 inch wire for the floors which I like better. So, think about what breed you are putting in them. 1/2 x 1/2 is going to make more work (alot)for you.

I shovel droppings at least once a week in the summer or when it is hot. Then I throw a layer of straw down. There is no smell what so ever in that area.

I have a box for each rabbit in the cage so they have a place that is more protected to get out of the weather. I do have solid sides, the back is being redone on hinges so I can have it open or have it latched closed.

Back