Building a rabbit shed.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well I've gotten a good amount of money working and saving this year and I'd like to build a bunny shed. Our current set up works...but when it rains, I loose all the fresh shavings I laid down just a few days before, the feed left over in jfeeders is wasted, and it's a really small space. (Deck beams,piece of the house potrudes in but provides cover for 4 cages. Those things take up precious space.) The deck is about 15 x 12 and a little of bit more than 4' 1/2' feet tallish. I've managed to fit 30 or so holes in there. With careful planning, I've managed more than my parents thought possible :lol:

I'd like to build a wooden shed that I could fit 30 or so holes in. I have my nursery of 4 24x30 stackable, but it won't kill me if I can't get those in the shed either. Maybe I'll just give up some of my major cages in the rabbitry to add the nursery cages.

The bunny shed needs to be a Minimum of 12 ft long. (That's the longest that my 24x24 hanging cages are.

How much would a 8ft x 12ft or a 10ftx 12ft wooden shed cost to build ? How much to add electricity? I might be giving up traveling to Mini Lop Nationals in Kentucky to build this, but there is always next year :)

I'm thinking something with at least 2 windows and just plain dirt floors.(Maybe add concrete later)<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:00 pm __________<br /><br />http://www.amazon.com/Saltbox-Style-Sto ... BAQMY7YG6P really like this design

This is an inexpensive option, takes the guesswork out of the process. The base kit is eight feet and you can add length by getting more brackets with the kit.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/05f ... 5ff2a62/90

If you can't see the link, it's the 2012 main catalog from Lee Valley, page 91
When I priced it for myself the 12' I wanted came to less than $100 cdn, thats only for the frame brackets, sheathing and framing is extra.

Remember Peach.....your dimensions are all outside to outside corners. Your 24's won't go 6 across on a 12 foot shed. 12'8" or 12'9" will fit six across. Using 2"X4" framing lumber, you're going to lose at least 7" on the inside dimensions. That's not counting the exterior sheathing if that was figured into the overall length and width.

grumpy.

:hmm: Very valid point grumpy! Something I didn't consider. I did remember that those 6 are in sections of 3... so I'd have to figure out how to set up cages so everyone could fit and not waste space. This project is going to be interesting! I've been emailing different places for quotes to have it built. Interested to see what the feedback is.

Do be certain of Your zoning laws and rules, First !!!

....ie:...here we need a building permit for anything over 100sq. ft. So we could go 10x10... or 12x8 and not need a permit...Nothing is more frustrating than building a Nice shelter... and having the codes inspector find fault !!

Well so far....found this: In the Cobb Country Ordinances

Livestock, nondomestic and wild animals, and poultry means animals, nondomestic and wild animals, and species of the avian family which are or may be raised for the purpose of providing food or transportation, or being resold or bred, excluding only dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, pet mice, hamsters, gerbils, parrots and parakeets.

Basically, you can have as many as you want, as long as they are in good care.

I got interested in a group in Marietta called the Backyard Chicken alliance trying to change this ordinance so the poultry will be considered "pets" too and you can raise them for multi purpose animals in every day backyards. So yay that rabbits are cleared...now to do more digging for building ordinances...

Peach, Take a look at my thread here new-rabbitry-t11282.html I built this using privacy fence panels that I bought at Lowes. It is 16' X 8'. The fence panels at Lowers were around $40 each and I used 6 and then I bought the post and some 2"X4" for framing. I also covered the back 4' with 2 sheets of treated Plywood. So all together I probably have around $400 With some rafters framed up you could add a complete roof for probably around $250-$300 more. The link from Amazon you provided is really a nice shed. Once you start adding windows and finishing though the price really goes up.

Thanks for the suggestion! That's a wonderful idea! The only reason I'm really willing to put a little extra to get my rabbits in something a little bit "climate controlled" is because I breed shaded rabbits. Their color is controlled by the humidity, so even if it's going to cost be a little more right now, I'll do it. I just emailed the homeowners association to see if I can get the OK for building. Ours isn't really active, so I don't think it will be really an issue. We have been having quite a few renters that come and go in our neighborhood,so our house and yard is well taken cared of compared to much of the neighborhood. Too many people don't feel to do much to their homes when they are just renting.

Cobb County building permits:

Building Permits

What is exempt from permitting?

1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the floor area does not exceed 120 sq. ft. ,is not on a permanent foundation, has no electrical, plumbing , HVAC or gas connections, is at least 5 feet from all property boundaries and is less than 35 feet in height. (There may be Zoning stipulations associated with your property that may impose further limitations on detached structures. Please contact the Zoning Division at 770-528-2035 for this information prior to starting your project.)

For us, in the city, it could be no more than 100 square feet, and have no real foundation (dirt floor or on skids).

I went as stealth as possible, not even consulting the HOA. We built, we operated, I told one neighbor that we raised rabbits for meat when I was cornered. Other than that, I said nothing.

Sounds like your HOA isn't as active, though. We were in a really upscale neighborhood.

I got some wonderful news.... got the OK from the homeowners association :D

Now without that lingering over our heads, we can push forward.

Duckcomando":2clhehoh said:
Peach, Take a look at my thread here new-rabbitry-t11282.html I built this using privacy fence panels that I bought at Lowes. It is 16' X 8'. The fence panels at Lowers were around $40 each and I used 6 and then I bought the post and some 2"X4" for framing. I also covered the back 4' with 2 sheets of treated Plywood. So all together I probably have around $400 With some rafters framed up you could add a complete roof for probably around $250-$300 more. The link from Amazon you provided is really a nice shed. Once you start adding windows and finishing though the price really goes up.

Well I have wonderful story to tell and I owe you a big thank you Duckcomando! I sat down with my parents, and I made it clear that this was a very serious subject because I love my hobby and I want a better location for my show rabbits. Now, there was a lot of back and forth because we had to consider how much longer we will be living here.

For now as a college student, I juggle rabbits,school, and work well. They respect that this is something I've personally committed to and have invested a lot of time and money into because I feel I will do well and it just makes me HAPPY.

Looking into the shed and the time we expect to be here, it seems like my dreams of having the shed I pictured will have to wait until I have a place of my own. Which I am ok with! As long as I can have my rabbits in a place that isn't beneath my back porch!

We look thoroughly at what you built and we have just the place to build something similar. We have a wooden play set that we built not too many years ago stands strong,cemented into the ground, and actually houses my rabbits in what I call the "Nursery" in the little house section of it.

Looks like I'll have to suck up not having that most amazingly colored future smoked pearls that are currently in the nesting box :lol: but I'll take what I can get. Maybe I'll have just enough money left over for Mini Lop Nationals afterall!

Since my dad just opened up a laundry business a few months ago he's been really busy, but he's going to get my older brother to open for a few days . He going to dedicate a couple of morning to help me got out,get the supplies, and build it.

I waited to tear up a little after I went out to tend to the rabbits for the night cause I'm so happy and excited about things coming together. The garden is coming along and now the rabbits will have a better place to live. Plus, it will be nice to spend some time with my Dad. My BF of almost two years has gone above and beyond to always be supportive and be my handy man of my rabbit habit when I've needed him to be in my father's absence with the new business. It will be nice to have the three of us together.

I'm going to update as we get started on the project. My thoughts are to have 2 rows of 6 cages and possibly put 2 rows on the sides of the walls. I'm going to take some time before I go to work tomorrow to start measuring and making plans :)

Peach, that is just wonderful! It's amazing to have parents who are willing to support your ventures, even if they have to consider that a dedicated rabbit building when you may not live there more than a couple more years may not be the wisest idea. Yet, they are helping work something else out for you. That is so wonderful! :D

Well I'm happy for you Peach. Makes me feel good knowing I could help a little and I'm fairly new to rabbits myself. Make sure to post pics of the build so we can see how you turn out. I look forward to seeing your new rabbitry and who knows, you may have some better ideas that I can take and put back into my own rabbitry once yours is finished.

As far as your plans on 2 rows of 6 cages and 2 rows on the sides that sounds pretty good. I plan on expanding later to incorporate another row of cages on my front wall and leave the sides open for hay storage containers and such.

Oh one more thing. I picked up some 2 mil plastic at Lowes as well and lined the inside of the rabbitry with it for the winter. It made a big difference in the wind flow inside the rabbitry. During the summer I can just remove the plastic and it should have adequate air flow as it would move your hair inside before the plastic. Its in the paint isle at Lowes for around $4 for a 9'X12' piece. In the center I put a tarp I can let down as well if the weather is going to get really bad. I put some pics of that here: keeping-rabbits-warm-warming-mat-question-t11412-15.html

Good luck with your build!

Thank you guys and thank you for that link! :)

I have some ideas already! :lol: To provide a light source and possibly a place to store our feed and hay is going to be one of my key aspects. I have a light with the main herd, but I just use the light of my phone to take care of the the nursery. Light will be a must! At least in the winter time, since I can only give a quick check up in the morning, but normally can't get back until the evening from school or work. Summer time is a lot easier for me!

I like how you attached that extension cord along the beam! Good idea!

Looks like we are going to start construction next week :) (as long as things don't get too crazy at the laundry mat) Looks like my rabbit set up will house 20 holes (5 cages per row that are 24 x 24 ) rabbits and I'm going to keep 8 holes under the deck. 4 under the overhang, and 4 large grow out cages under the nicely roofed area. The nursery is an additional 4. So same number of holes that will be easier to me maintain ;) I'll take a picture of the plan soon and post it :D The price won't be too bad. I believe it will be about 400 to build with. I'll have to buy cages so fit the space & trays for the upper row, so that might be an additional $200ish, but this is just a one time thing. Where do you guys buy your trays?

737191_278918395563650_64181594_o.jpg

Please ignore the bouncy horse in the background. I promise it's something I don't ride on a regular basis lol The doorway will be here.

664953_278918388896984_285480680_o.jpg

All this is going to get cleared up. My lovely grandpa has made the outside of the nursery storage for scrap pieces of wood and a place for his buys for garage sales. Not sure why I didn't take that table to be scraped the other day. Good thing I have just finished pulling out all the fencing I was working on before completely today and have to make another trip there.

701998_278918132230343_2133222547_o.jpg

There will be a grand total of 20 holes in here and I'm going to keep 9 under the deck under the nicely roofed part for growout/meat buns. Plus, the 4 in the nursery.

I can't wait to have this built next week. The best thing? We are pretty much customizing to my size LOL I'm hoping we can put something on top of the cages so I can house carriers & hay. W

Looking nice! :)
And I love that bouncy horse.. hehe

(mostly commenting because I don't want to miss the new pictures while you build, which I hope you'll post ;) )

Back